need help with Navy service

LadyHawk

w00t!!
Donating Member
Registered
My father was in the Navy. I don't know what he did, when he served, where he served, or on what vessel.

Does anyone know of a site, where I can research this?

My mother is deceased, as is his father and I don't know wether his mother is or not (I have not spoken to her in over 20 years). So there is no family that I can ask.

Imma go check the Navy website.. but since y'all are geeks...er.. I mean ... so knowledgable, I figured someone might know.
wink.gif

Brenda,
It might be difficult to find out much without a place to start, but to find out anything you will need his SSN and/or, depending on when he served, his Service number... I have a few ideas...

(MC MUSTANG @ Jul. 31 2007,10:55) Brenda,
It might be difficult to find out much without a place to start, but to find out anything you will need his SSN and/or, depending on when he served, his Service number...  I have a few ideas...
Crap... SSN huh?
Hmmmm. Maybe my sister has something. She is the keeper of his material memories. I'll ask her.

HEY! I just remembered, she has his wallet. Hopefully he had a card in there.

Thanks Shawn.

I read a few weeks back that ancestry.com had uploaded a ton of military information and it was free to browse for a time...

Not sure if you'll find anything here or if the data's still free, but it's worth a shot Ancestry.com military records

I've been researching my great great grandfather that served in the Civil War aboard the USS Tulip, but have yet to find anything on him...I need to get more info from family members...perhaps you'll have more luck being that the data is more recent...  
smile.gif

Brenda,
This is for active duty/retirees, but they may be able to point you in the right direction...

Navy World Wide Locator
(PERS-312E2)

1-866-827-5672
Fax: (901) 874-2000
Fax DSN: 882-2000

The Navy World Wide Locator helps locate individuals on active duty and those who have been recently discharged. The Navy also has a current address for retired Navy service members. Some addresses are protected under the provisions of the Privacy Act and cannot be released. Mail can be forwarded in those cases. You can call the locator service toll free at 1-866-827-5672 or commercial 1-901-874-3388, DSN 882-3388. Unless you are calling on official business or a family member, the fee for researching an address is $3.50 per address made payable by check or money order to the U.S. TREASURER. Fees are retained in cases resulting in an unsuccessful search. Mail your correspondence with your fee to:

Navy World Wide Locator
Navy Personnel Command
PERS 312E2
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055-3120
If you are looking for active duty personnel, you might also try the Navy/Marine Corps White Pages Directory. Additional locator services may be found at https://www.nic.mil/dodnic.mil/milloc.html.

A lot of interesting information about the history and customs, as well as many other items of interest, can be found at the Naval Historical Center. You can find information on items such as deck logs, muster rolls, and Navy casualty files from World War II at the Naval Historical Center link for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). This link also contains information on finding retired military personnel and arranging military reunions.

There is some additional help available from other than official sources. If you are looking for retired personnel, you might try a web site called NAVetsUSA.

(VaBusa @ Jul. 31 2007,11:00) I read a few weeks back that ancestry.com had uploaded a ton of military information and it was free to browse for a time...

Not sure if you'll find anything here or if the data's still free, but it's worth a shot Ancestry.com military records

I've been researching my great great grandfather that served in the Civil War aboard the USS Tulip, but have yet to find anything on him...I need to get more info from family members...perhaps you'll have more luck being that the data is more recent...  
smile.gif
I checked it... there are 3 with my father's name, but I don't know where he was born.

Hmmmmm...

(MC MUSTANG @ Jul. 31 2007,11:10) Brenda,
This is for active duty/retirees, but they may be able to point you in the right direction...

Navy World Wide Locator
(PERS-312E2)

1-866-827-5672
Fax: (901) 874-2000
Fax DSN:  882-2000

The Navy World Wide Locator helps locate individuals on active duty and those who have been recently discharged.  The Navy also has a current address for retired Navy service members.  Some addresses are protected under the provisions of the Privacy Act and cannot be released.  Mail can be forwarded in those cases.  You can call the locator service toll free at 1-866-827-5672 or commercial 1-901-874-3388,  DSN 882-3388.  Unless you are calling on official business or a family member, the fee for researching an address is $3.50 per address made payable by check or money order to the U.S. TREASURER.  Fees are retained in cases resulting in an unsuccessful search.  Mail your correspondence with your fee to:

Navy World Wide Locator
Navy Personnel Command
PERS 312E2
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055-3120
If you are looking for active duty personnel, you might also try the Navy/Marine Corps White Pages Directory.  Additional locator services may be found at https://www.nic.mil/dodnic.mil/milloc.html.

A lot of interesting information about the history and customs, as well as many other items of interest, can be found at the Naval Historical Center.  You can find information on items such as deck logs, muster rolls, and Navy casualty files from World War II at the Naval Historical Center link for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).  This link also contains information on finding retired military personnel and arranging military reunions.

There is some additional help available from other than official sources.  If you are looking for retired personnel, you might try a web site called NAVetsUSA.
Thanks again Shawn... got me some work to do now!
beerchug.gif

I found his SSN on Family Search
and then I found this site Archives From one of your suggestions Shawn.

Now I'm just waiting for the Seperation Papers to be mailed to me.

How COOL is that???
beerchug.gif

Back