A serious moment in Eureka Springs

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
Just wanted to share with the rest of the family a moment from the MeetnGreet in Eureka Springs last night.

Don (USN05LE) went on terminal leave with the Navy yesterday at 0900 hours. This means he has completed all official duties and responsibilities as a 20 year veteran of the United States Navy and has NOTHING he has to do before he is officially Honorably Discharged and retired from the US Armed Forces.

I've known Don since he was a 16 year old and I was his boss at his first part-time job. He was a tall skinny obnoxious kid who never shut up, and those of you who know him now know that he has changed a lot, he's not skinny anymore...
laugh.gif
Seriously, I am now proud to call him my best friend, and I am very proud that he has spent 20 years serving his country, as a submariner in a nuclear ballistic missile boomer, the Ohio Class USS Rhode Island and as a Recruiter for the US Navy.

So, I asked Don what the Navy did for retiring Naval personnel after they did their 20, the short (printable) version of his reply was "Nothing".

No way...
wtf.gif

I figured at the least, they would have him dress up in the dress white "Somebody go carry Debra Winger out the door" ice cream suit, have some jerk from up the chain of command come in and say something pompous, and give him some token to remember his time in the Navy.

Nope.
bs.gif

I may be a civilian, but I find this reprehensible. I would understand for a normal 2-3 year hitch, give you your papers and the "Don't let the door hit ya where the pig bit ya" routine, but for 20 years?!?

So to the point of this post, I decided that Don should have something to remind him of his Navy career, and to celebrate the completion of his service to the United States Armed Forces. It's not much, but to make it memorable I thought what better way than to give it to him last night at the Meet-n-Greet in the company of some of the best people we know. Don, I love you brother and am proud to call you my friend. Thank you for the last 20 years. (Insert flag proudly waving in the breeze emoticon here)

P.S.- It is a real ship's bell, they make them for military and civilian boats in all sizes up to oceangoing yachts. It is antiqued bronze, the last thing on God's earth anybody who has ever been in the Navy wants is to ever again see something that is brass and has to be polished...
laugh.gif

Bell.JPG

laugh.gif

Very nice and absolutely the right thing to do for some that has dedicated 20 years to serving our country! Were there shots of the presentation?

That was a great thing you did for him! I was banned from my camera by the presentation. LOL

Don, thank you so much for your service!
bowdown.gif

Shibumi , That was AWESOME !!! I am real glad I was there to see you give that to Don. You are definately a Class Act, Oh By the way I hope you enjoy your Award!!!
beerchug.gif

Nice work L... Don is a very deserving individual! So, thank you sir for your service to our Country!

Nice of you to give him a retirement gift. All I have to give is my thanks.

thumb_up.gif

That was incredibly thoughtful. Congrats Don and thanks for your many years of service...

If it makes you feel any better, that "Somebody go carry Debra Winger out the door" in the ice cream suit is only romantic when the girl watching the movie is 15 or so
laugh.gif
Now it's just plain corny
tounge.gif

Great job Shibumi
beerchug.gif

That was awesome...it takes a special person to stick it out 20 yrs in the service...I wantexd to stay in 20 yrs...but after 4 I decided to go my seperate way....so Thank you Don......you deserve every minute of that Terminal leave....and Shibumi great gift and Like NinjaKiller said...you enjoy your award!!

Back