Need computer help

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
We have a 16 year old son whose computer is in his room. His mother would like to be able to see his screen from her computer without his knowledge and monitor what he is doing live. I know there is a way to do it, I am just not sure how. Can one of you guys/gals can help me with this?

Don

sounds easy enough with simple software and or settings within your network...hopefully somebody here has info that will help you out

Just one of the many options...

net nanny

Yep I have been using net nanny for years.... My son isnt the problem, his friends that come over have been shocked when I walked in the room telling them I get emails instantly if they go somewhere they shouldnt be....

The look of shock is priceless...

Yep I have been using net nanny for years.... My son isnt the problem, his friends that come over have been shocked when I walked in the room telling them I get emails instantly if they go somewhere they shouldnt be....

The look of shock is priceless...

:rofl::rofl:

Thats great Doug!!

We have a 16 year old son whose computer is in his room. His mother would like to be able to see his screen from her computer without his knowledge and monitor what he is doing live. I know there is a way to do it, I am just not sure how. Can one of you guys/gals can help me with this?

Don

Assuming your 16 year old has even the most basic of computer understanding, much less what the average kid knows about them now. The 'without his knowledge' part is going to be impossible.

Assuming your 16 year old has even the most basic of computer understanding, much less what the average kid knows about them now. The 'without his knowledge' part is going to be impossible.

not impossible, just expensive :whistle:

Lots of ways to do it, obviously there are ways to block sites if you know what to block and there are things that allow you to monitor stuff. Lots of things might require you to add more to your network some might be free, like VNC or close to free (net nanny & other apps)

Let him be a 16 year old...............It was the Best Time of My life :thumbsup:

On the Other Hand there is net nanny :whistle:

I know at work, IT can drop into ur computer an watch what you are doing with you even knowing they have pulled up your screen.

Don

For those of you that said or insinuated "boys will be boys", please re-read my initial post, this is to pacify his mother.

I'm not real sure she is going to like what she sees when I get this done, but, you know the old adage, "You better watch what you ask for"

Don

TightVNC is a free software that I have used to remotely connect to other people's machine as well as my local network in my house. You will need to install the software on his pc in "listen mode" as service (which means no icons on the system tray, totally invisible). An exception to the firewall has to be made for the program to be able to connect remotely from your son's pc if his pc firewall is on. You also have to know the name/ip address of his machine. Then install on your wife's pc.

You also have the option of viewing over Internet Explorer or the browser of your choice.

Hope this helps.

TightVNC: VNC-Compatible Free Remote Control Software TightVNC: VNC-Compatible Free Remote Control Software

TightVNC is a free software that I have used to remotely connect to other people's machine as well as my local network in my house. You will need to install the software on his pc in "listen mode" as service (which means no icons on the system tray, totally invisible). An exception to the firewall has to be made for the program to be able to connect remotely from your son's pc if his pc firewall is on. You also have to know the name/ip address of his machine. Then install on your wife's pc.

You also have the option of viewing over Internet Explorer or the browser of your choice.

Hope this helps.

TightVNC: VNC-Compatible Free Remote Control Software TightVNC: VNC-Compatible Free Remote Control Software

Ty for that. I will come home today at lunch and get that installed.

Don

I'd actually suggest RealVNC over TightVNC, but either one will work. Make sure you set it to hide the tooltray icon and be aware that many antivirus programs will actually complain about VNC, but you can safely ignore them.

For those of you that said or insinuated "boys will be boys", please re-read my initial post, this is to pacify his mother.

I'm not real sure she is going to like what she sees when I get this done, but, you know the old adage, "You better watch what you ask for"

Don

Why doesn't she just ask him?

Let him be a 16 year old...............It was the Best Time of My life :thumbsup:

On the Other Hand there is net nanny :whistle:

Put the computer out in the hall.

There is just soooo much more stuff to get into serious trouble with than when I was 16....the worst I could get into might be a Playboy magazine -...but there is some truly sick stuff out there now like it or not.

I use the VNC products for tech support but have never used it for 'overwatch'. TightVNC works for XP but not VISTAWIN7; REALVNC works for both products. Yes there are some firewall settings that take a little getting used to in order for it to function properly (I have them if anyone needs them).

Put the computer out in the hall.

Pull the computer out of his room and put it in a common area. :thumbsup:

I think it's kind of odd that you'd want to monitor what he's doing without his knowledge. I mean really, do you want to prevent him from doing what you think he's doing or do you want to catch him in the act?

Pull the computer out of his room and put it in a common area. :thumbsup:

I think it's kind of odd that you'd want to monitor what he's doing without his knowledge. I mean really, do you want to prevent him from doing what you think he's doing or do you want to catch him in the act?

Exactly...prevention much better than punishment too late the damage is done after the fact....

Back