Need Computer Help

Flicka

Professional Booga Flicka
Registered
So my computer has apparently learned some new tricks... Blue screens are getting more frequent. They say something about a Driver Power State Failure. Then there's the following pic that occasionaly happens. The whole thing freezes up and the fan goes WOT when it does this. From this point I just have to cut the power and start over. I'll also post my system info. I know there a lot of computer smart people here, so any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

DSCN0963.jpg

computerinfo.jpg

My guess is your CPU is over heating.

If your BIOS (and most bios do these days) has the ability to show you the CPU temp look and see how hot it is getting.

Just boot to BIOS mode and leave it there for about 5 minutes.

Kind of a rule of thumb for me is I am ok if my CPU temp is below like 135. but if it starts to get higher than that, I usually will blow off the CPU fan and make sure it is clean.

Also look at the RMP's of your CPU fan. should be faster than 3500 RPM's (I think)

Also, another way to check if it is hardware of software is leave your computer at the boot up bios screen for a few hours and see if it locks up. if it locks up at your bios screen then that rules out software or drivers or any of that and definatley points to hardware problems

To summarize, I think it is a hardware problem, more than likely an overheating CPU. or a video card going bad

Just read the screen.

While lots of people are fans of AMD chipsets, I am not. AMD "USED" to have a real bad problem with not handling over heat problems. Where as Intel chipsets have always been more reliable in over heat conditions.

I have heard over the years the new AMD chips have gotten better at dealing with overheat but I still prefer Intel chipsets

ANNNNNND since it is a laptop the only thing you can do about the fan is make sure it is running and there is warm to hot air coming out of it.

If the bottom of your laptop is almost too hot to touch then you definatley have a heat problem.

I have seen laptops that under normal conditions were the fan is working properly it is fine, you can touch the bottom of it with no problems. But the same laptop if the fan stops working the bottom will be too hot to touch

Just boot to BIOS mode and leave it there for about 5 minutes.

How do I do that? (I know, I'm a computer moron)

The air coming from the side vent has always been very hot. Sometimes it's even hot enough to burn your hand after a few seconds.

Thanks for the quick response

Looks like Thrasher has gotcha covered~!~

I'm great with computers...when it breaks I replace it~!~ :whistle:

PS...also might blow some "light" air inside...if the boards are real dusty they are just going to hold the heat in.
The fan will give you a good idea how much dust you're looking at, as Thrasher advised.

Last edited:
How do I do that? (I know, I'm a computer moron)

The air coming from the side vent has always been very hot. Sometimes it's even hot enough to burn your hand after a few seconds.

Thanks for the quick response

When you boot the computer watch the screen you are looking for text that will specifiy how to enter the bios.

usually it is either pressing F2, or F8 or F10 keys right when it is booting up.

There is a small window where you can get into the bios. after the window is closed the OS loads and you cannot get into the BIOS (normally unless you have special software)

Looks like Thrasher has gotcha covered~!~

I'm great with computers...when it breaks I replace it~!~ :whistle:

PS...also might blow some "light" air inside...if the boards are real dusty they are just going to hold the heat in.
The fan will give you a good idea how much dust you're looking at, as Thrasher advised.

Like outlawbusa said, think of dust as a wool blanket. It keeps the heat in real good. too much dust will prevent your system from staying cool

Just curious...and something to keep in mind...

Do you use this to tap into work~?~ Are you using anything that may not be 64 bit compatible~?~

Forgot to mention.

I think another way you can tell if it is hardware or software/driver problems is when it locks up like that, trying pressing you caps lock and num lock and see if the respective lights light up. That functon should be at the hardware level and passes information to the OS.

So if it is a software/driver issue, when you press the caps lock or numlock the lights "should" still light (I think) and if they do not light then again "I think" it will probably be indicitave of a hardware related issue.

If I am wrong some feel free to correct me.

Thrasher has step one nailed, sounds and looks a lot like a heat / overheating problem. When you put your laptop down while on flip it upside down so its laying on the lid and the air isn't having problems.

When you boot the computer watch the screen you are looking for text that will specifiy how to enter the bios.

usually it is either pressing F2, or F8 or F10 keys right when it is booting up.

There is a small window where you can get into the bios. after the window is closed the OS loads and you cannot get into the BIOS (normally unless you have special software)

I lost touch with AMD setups. But on Intel the "Delete" key throws you into bios. F8 throws you into "safe mode" for the OS(operator system).

Right from when you go to power up you can repeatedly tap the "delete" key. Reason for this is that it is easy to miss the opportunity to enter Bios.

Once in Bios. There should be a selection of something to the fashion of "System Health". Different manufactures have different Bios setups. So the wording might be different. Just make sure when you're done,you "Exit without Saving". That way you don't accidentally mess up a Bios setting.

If for some reason it isn't the "Delete" key... Watch during boot-up and at the bottom of the screen(where everything is black and white). There you will notice what key you are suppose to push to enter Bios. It won't be there for long. Hence why I mentioned to start the tapping right after hit the power button. If you miss it,just select the restart option once you enter vista.

You might check and see if there are any driver/firmware updates for your system.

Sometimes for fan speed to spin up is normal, especially if the OS or system has become corrupt. It does this by default because what is normally controlling it is not responding.

Google the error code, it may lead to a resolution.

Good luck

I used to get blue screens all the time with my former lap top, my mother board was getting too hot and locking up. I had it replaced 3 times before I replaced the computer.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm going to fool around with it some more tonight and see what I can come up with. :beerchug:

Back