Need computer Help!

Thanks for the replies guys.
Still slow but...
I'm running Windows 98
I have a cable modem it's working fine.
I can type and scroll normally when I'm offline, E -mail, and AOL Instant Messenger work normally. The deeper I get into a website, the slower it gets, e.g. .og homepage comes up fast I can login quickly, but go to General topics and it slows, go to this topic and it slows more, got to reply this topic and it slows even more.
I'm a techno peasant so I couldn't find where to type in netstat

And when I do CTRL+ALT+DEL I don't get a Task Manager with a Processes Tab.

I'm thinking my next step it to Format my computer, it's 3 years old and has never been formatted.
I just noticed that when I don't type or move the mouse, the cursor blinks like normal and the smilies move (slowly), but as soon as I move the mouse or type everything stops.

Windows 98 does not have task manager, and I doubt it has netstat. Could be your memory is going bad, probably not a bad time to update to windows 2000 or XP. I usually reformat once a year because something gets corrupt in Windows or it just bogs down from whatever. You could try Norton Utilities, it may be able to clean up whatever problem you have going on. When you hit ctrl+alt+delete are there a ton of programs that are listed in that window? If there are some suspicious ones try to end task on them. What you can also try to do is go to the start menu then "Run", type in "msconfig" and hit enter. Go to the startup tab, it lists all the programs that start when windows boots up. Uncheck anything you don't want to run, then do a reboot, this may free up some system resources. Give it a shot.

I tried the msconfig solution and unchecked everything but the mouse and that didn't work.
I have to get going to work again so I'll be back later.
Lo and her friends are coming down this Sat for a ride and a trip to the local theme park so I might not be back 'til Sunday
I may format the computer then.
Either that or I just got a mail from Gateway on a new computer...

Big O,
Figured it out yet? If the other tips didn't solve your problem you may wanna try this: install the latest version of Directx (also goes via microsoft update). When re-installing windows (a monthly deal for me) I usually have slide-show performance in every scrolling window as long as I don't have my latest DirectX and video drivers. Problem happens on my old GF2GTS, GF4Ti4200 and ATI9800Pro. Doesn't seem to matter if the vid-card is new or old, they're just lagging as long as they work under the standard windows vid-driver.

Hope all my misfortune can be of any help to you  

Thanks for all your help guys! I went and bought a new computer. I've been thinking about it for a while and this was a good excuse.

********* If you are accessing the internet from anything better than dial-up, you NEED a firewall and an updated Virus Scanner.

I can help w/ those, email me....

OBTW - I have a "bandwidth" tester on my web site!Coastal Computer Care

:devil:

Back