Public Service Anouncement

BusaWhipped

Donating Member
Registered
Smash is a local radio personality who was entertaining with his band at Ted's Motorcycle World. The place was jamming, hundreds of bikes, free food, and live band. You won't believe what happened. I'm pasting the email I sent to the Senior Vice President of the radio station Smash works for below.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2005 6:53 PM
To: 'john@stl.emmis.com'
Subject: Smash's "Public Service" Announcement

Dear Mr. Beck,

I am writing to inform you that I will no longer be listening to your radio station based of the actions of Smash today at Ted's Customer Appreciation Day. I listened to Smash when he was on DC 101, after moving to St. Louis, found Smash and Karen on one of your competitors, then followed him to your station. Today was the first time I had the opportunity to see him live.

My friend and I were enjoying ourselves at Ted's. Then, we walked in front of the stage where Smash was performing. He stopped what he was doing to single us out of the crowd to ridicule us because we were wearing proper motorcycle riding gear. In front of hundreds of other riders, at a motorcycle dealer, representing your station, Smash's used us as the focus of his "Public Service" Announcement. I don't remember the comments word for word, but his message was that we must not know how to ride a motorcycle because we were wearing gear on such a hot day. Only someone expecting to crash their bike would wear heavy gear when its 95 degrees out. He continued to tell everyone in the crowd that we were planning on falling off of our bikes on the way home. We left Ted's because of his ridicule.

If he feels that wearing helmets and protective gear is foolish, that's his opinion and he has every right to believe that. If he wants to ride around in shorts, tee shirt, and sandals, that's his decision and he will live with the consequences. However, he does not have the right to promote that from stage while representing your station. He does not have the right to use the power of the microphone and your station to belittle people who do not believe the same. At a time where motorcycle accidents and deaths are increasing at an alarming rate, I would expect a radio personality to behave professionally and responsibly. If he doesn't believe in wearing gear, all he had to do is say nothing. I would ask for Smash to apologize, but I won't be listening to your station to hear it. I will also be posting this message to several of the local motorcycle club websites and the AMA.

Thank you,
Dennis Heidler

beerchug.gif

Awesome. Glad you took the time to do this!
thumbs-up.gif

However, he does not have the right to promote that from stage while representing your station.  He does not have the right to use the power of the microphone and your station to belittle people who do not believe the same.  
why wouldn't he have the right?

I think you should it's not the responsible thing to be doing...

he has the right to get on there and call you an asshat if he wants.. hehe

I agree with basically everything ya said though..

very un-professional... and I believe your doing the right thing.

However, he does not have the right to promote that from stage while representing your station.  He does not have the right to use the power of the microphone and your station to belittle people who do not believe the same.  

OK, this is the US and he is protected by the First Amendment. Technically, he has the right to say anything he wants about anyone at anytime. However, we do not have the right to shout "fire" in a crowded move theater because it is considered abuse of the amendment. I'm hoping his employer feels as I do that he was abusing this right.

Good job man. It will be interesting to see what you get in the form a response.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123984863 -->

I'd of beat him with the microphone in all my gear. I'm sure that would of gotten ugly. Although violence isn't always the answer to an asshat. You did the right thing. I'm curious to the response you may recieve. Thats uncalled for to embarass you like that. For some reason I just want to wish bad things for him but that would show my immaturity too lol.

I went to Ted's today.  Couldn't stay long.  Very few sportbikes in a sea of Hardleys.

<!--EDIT|soon2be
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123988658 -->

Great letter and it was weel deserved, I too would like to hear the response and see how that goes so keep us posted.

And good job for wearing the gear on a hot day, a life is just not worth the comfort.

This post made me want to post a response. I stand up for everyone's right to say what they wish. This is the basis of a "FREE" society.

If you don't like what he says, f' him... You know? It's America, the land of the free!
smile.gif

OK, this is the US and he is protected by the First Amendment.  Technically, he has the right to say anything he wants about anyone at anytime.  However, we do not have the right to shout "fire" in a crowded move theater because it is considered abuse of the amendment.  I'm hoping his employer feels as I do that he was abusing this right.
Actually, you have the right to shout fire in a crowded theater, or any other gathering place you wish. As a result you can be arrested and charged with inciting a riot, or falsely endangering others.

He has the right to blast anything he wants to the public, and you have the right to tell his boss to shut him up. Will it happen? Who knows! But I do wish you the best of luck on this.

I do wear proper gear ALWAYS!!! It's a shame more people don't. It could result in less fatalities and serious injuries.

beerchug.gif

I hope he gets his a$$ chewed....What a great message...."Only were gear when the temperature calls for it. It was 100 Focking degrees here in Boston and my buddy had his leather jacket on.... I thought he would sufocate or evaporate, but most importantley I knew he was safe.... Safety is most important@ least for some of us....

The guy is allowed to spout stupidity such as this, but reckless speech should have consequences. Your letter is well written and I applaud you for the way in which you are representing responsible motorcycle riders everywhere.

Too bad you didnt have a realistic looking paint ball gun w/red paint balls and your own dayum mike. I agree that you can say what you want and how you want it. It's not the smartest thing to say but ignoring it as you did is probably best. Having the above items I would have asked him if he was faster than a bullet and started paintin his asss. Of course I too would have to deal with my consequences but he'd sure think twice about saying it the next time. You could of walked over to shake his had and thus began to beat the fu* out of em with the gear. That would be irony. Take his mike and preach how this wouldnt hurt if he had on proper gear.

The guy may have a right to say what he wants, but he's also representing the corporation he works for as well as the business that hired him to entertain.  While you're are work, try poking fun of a customers clothes, hair style, weight ect. and see how long you last at that job.

Does Ted's Motorcycle World sell helmets and gear?  If so, those comments hurt their business and I'd be writing the owners to let them know.

Just found a web site for a Ted's Motorcycle World in Alton IL. Is this the one you were at? Even though it's a hardley dealership they do have a rather large inventory of safety gear.

<!--EDIT|Turbo-Torch
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124049021 -->

Back