Premium fuel

idea.gif

iagreewithsledhead.jpg

Here's a question for ya Cheese.  If someone had a pipe, power commander and airbox mod, would running race fuel hurt the motor?  
jc.. i have heard that if u run 50/50% race fuel it will clean ur injectors out. 109 octane here in ky.

i recently did this and the bike seems to be peppier now since is have done it.
2 gallons 87 octane and 2 gallons race fuel.
also since doing this i have filled up about 2 more times with regular 87 octane gas.. and it still feel like i have more power.

your opinion please?

<!--EDIT|BLU88
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091820224 -->

87 "ALWAYS" cheap stuff or brand name....doesn't matter..My Busa Rocks my world..just rip's everytime..never a problem...read the frame sticker...who are we to not trust the people who designed this awsome engine.
wow.gif

I might be in for some abuse here but it seems to me that some people are confusing fuel quality with octane rating.

Regular gas is just as clean as premium or super premium. The way some people seem to think, you’d imagine the manufacture chucked in a free handful of dirt with every gallon of regular.

We’re only talking burn rates (or resistance to burn) right? Not actual fuel quality.

If your not getting detonation I really can’t understand the need for spending the extra hard earned cash on a higher octane rated fuel.

I sometimes think we fool ourselves, or let the fuel companies convince us, that more expensive is better. What we should be looking at, is selecting the most suitable octane rating for our own applications and mods.

That said I’ll just keep my head down and see what happens.

Cheers All

40__s.gif

<!--EDIT|Rosco
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091865883 -->

Actually, years ago Amoco used to have plenty of TV commericials bragging how their Gold Premium gas went through more refining processes and was much cleaner than regular and mid grade fuels. Their premium fuel was (and may still be) clear like water vs. normal gas which is yellowish in color.
I believe they found out a way to filter out the yellow color which was probably nothing more than a natural color of some additive.

Of course during the same time they also used to have commercials showing someone pulling into a gas station with a dweeb car like a Tempo or Taurus, filling it up with "Premium" which then turned the dorkmobile into a tire vaporizing race car.

The oil companies REALLY pushed their premium fuel with hundreds of really tacky commercials like that.
Eventually the law took over and it's been a good 10 years since we've seen stupid commercials like that in the US.

I might be in for some abuse here but it seems to me that some people are confusing fuel quality with octane rating.

Regular gas is just as clean as premium or super premium. The way some people seem to think, you’d imagine the manufacture chucked in a free handful of dirt with every gallon of regular.

We’re only talking burn rates (or resistance to burn) right? Not actual fuel quality.

If your not getting detonation I really can’t understand the need for spending the extra hard earned cash on a higher octane rated fuel.

I sometimes think we fool ourselves, or let the fuel companies convince us, that more expensive is better. What we should be looking at, is selecting the most suitable octane rating for our own applications and mods.

That said I’ll just keep my head down and see what happens.

Cheers All

40__s.gif
no abuse, as I pointed out a page back.

OCTANE
FUEL QUALITY
RACE GAS

can all be different.

Actually, years ago Amoco used to have plenty of TV commericials bragging how their Gold Premium gas went through more refining processes and was much cleaner than regular and mid grade fuels.  Their premium fuel was (and may still be) clear like water vs. normal gas which is yellowish in color.
I believe they found out a way to filter out the yellow color which was probably nothing more than a natural color of some additive.

Of course during the same time they also used to have commercials showing someone pulling into a gas station with a dweeb car like a Tempo or Taurus, filling it up with "Premium" which then turned the dorkmobile into a tire vaporizing race car.

The oil companies REALLY pushed their premium fuel with hundreds of really tacky commercials like that.
Eventually the law took over and it's been a good 10 years since we've seen stupid commercials like that in the US.
BINGO

This is how most people starting thinking power to the Octane. Years ago I even thought I could get more power out of High Octane.

Back