Stuttering at 7k on a 2004

Tattooed

Registered
So all the rust is outta the tank, Today I took it out for my morning ride and at 7K it started stuttering, blah! My experience with cars, my first thought is fuel! I figure since it was filled with rust, the fuel pump..So why not buy a used on for 100 on ebay through a reputable seller..

I'm also gonna replace the plugs again..they was changed bout a month ago but better safe than sorry.

Also I have a question, because I wasnt paying attention when I took the tank off..The two lines coming off the two nipples on the rear low side. Where do the two lines go? I think they're just overflow drain line..SO I just routed them to a safe location..If anyone knows please chime in,.

I'll keep everyone posted if the plugs help..Then after I get the other fuel pump installed.

Only mods been done are the 2brother m2 slip ons, marble mod on air box...I havent checked any coils etc...I will have plugs in either today or tomorrow..Today is my sons 12th Bday so I can get the plugs and his gift on one trip :) plus its over 95degrees today and humid...Hopefully plugs and fuel pump will have her running strong again...

Another note..fuel was on half tank, good gas only a week old..filled it up with mobile gas ( udf ) gas station...

If there was junk in the tank, it probably partially clogged the fuel filter. Just because you cleaned the tank, that doesn't mean the fuel filter is clean. It is likely still clogged which may significantly limit the fuel flow. Try removing the fuel line from the tank, put a cup under the fuel nipple, and turn the key to ON in order to prime the fuel pump for a few seconds. See how the gas comes out of it. If it just drips, here is your problem. You can test the fuel pump per service manual. IIRC, it should be something like 1200 ml in 30 sec - essentially one cup should be filled in like 5 sec. If it's noticeably less than that, the fuel filter is clogged.

I just bought plugs and some sea foam...if its the injectors,,hopefully that stuff will help loosen that junk up..I've looked but can't seem to find the thread..I'm looking for the way to take that pump apart to get at the screen to clean it..Any advice? Of course if I win the new one, I wont need to worry about it

Cool, just did pump, simple too,,,filter was aweful and a pile of rust was laying in the bowl..next ill change plugs and add sea foam for the injectors

Just got done with the morning ride, so far so good. Back to normal!

I took the fuel rail off, took out the injectors to inspect them. No debris in the rail or injector tips. Put those back on. Took out the plugs and once again, brown from the rust left in the fuel bowl and filter. Replaced those.

So I also poured in about half bottle of sea foam in a full tank of new 93 octane from Speedway.

So I ended up taking the fuel pump apart, cleaning out the filter,the little nipple thing that comes out #2 I think it was. cleaned that out, took apart the fuel rail and injectors. Replaced plugs. Only thing left to do is adjust idle. I'm letting this tank run through in case the sea foam is making it fluctuate a tad. From 1300-1600 at idle.

Over all performance from a dead stop through top of second. Perfect pull and power. Even sounds better and smoother acceleration. Now once this heatwave is over I can really test it out. Plus we just got a nasty storm here in Cincinnati. A lot of wet spots. So I had to quit at 120-130 mph.

Thanks for all the help. I hope this is the end of problems until I do something else that screws it up haha... Now I get to read and try and help others.

Congrats! Nothing like the feeling of relief after struggling with an issue. Plus, you gained a valuable hands-on experience.

Cheers to that! :beerchug:

Back