Power loss at 9k RPM

Big O

Physicist Genii
Donating Member
Registered
I have suddenly developed a power loss at 9k RPM and the FI light comes on. The codes are C24 and C27. I had the coils changed, the injectors changed, and the fuel pump changed. The next move is to check the magnet on the camshaft position sensor or replace the ECU.
Help!

sad.gif

Replaced the ignition pickup coil in the engine case, ALL the sensors, still no go. Even removed the airbox flapper valve thinking it might be sticking and restricting airflow. Now we're at the point of checking all the connections on all the wiring in the harness. My mechanic is the best as far as I'm concerned, but he's scratching his head too. He's even been on the phone to all his experts. This problem has not occured yet for anyone. My bike runs great right up until it hits 9k on the tach. Unbelievable.

The latest: My mechanic has been on the phone to Suzuki and they don't know what the problem could be. Anything they suggested has been done already.
The TRE (what's a TRE?) was removed and that didn't work. They found that when the bike hits 9k flames shoot out the exhaust like it's hitting the rev limiter. But the camshaft pickup has been changed. I suggested disconnecting the tach. Maybe the tach is bad and telling the ECU that it's at a higher RPM thus causing it the hit the rev limiter at a lower acutal RPM. He can tell what the RPMs are when he put sit Back on the dyno to test it.
(crossed fingers)

I doubt its the tach itself, the ecu knows the engine rpms without it.

What are those codes mean?

Sounds to me your ecu thinks its either in 6th gear all the time, but that wouldn't explain the FI light.

Now that I think about it, it sounds more like your going lean @9k. Has the fuel filter been changed? Has your mechanic verified fuel pressure WHEN THIS HAPPENS? When I was wrenching on cars, I used to have to take cars for test drives with a fuel pressure guage all the time.

No PC3, and the fuel pump is new with a new filter.  That should solve the fuel pressure problem.  The codes are for ignition pick coil (replaced) or low battery (replaced also).  The codes in the manual say: CKP sensor (pickup coil) signal is produced but signal from ingition coil is not produced continuous two times.  Ignition coil, wiring/coupler connection, power supply from battery.

I just talked to my mechanic and he's stumped.  He's replaced every component on the bike.  Had three experts he knows all working on it and they can't figure it out.  

What's this about the clutch switch wired together?  
Called the mech again, the wires to the coils have been checked and the clutch switch was checked, all good.
thanks

the only time I have seen that code is when a MPS shift box was attach (and the wires in the mps box wasn't cut)
but yours is doing it in all Gears?

If the FI light is coming on still after replacing the cam sensor you should have your tech use an occiliscope and ck the wave form on the sensor at 9k rpm. If he's as good as you think, he'll know what that means. If the wave form is erattic you may have a problem with the ring on the cam. Hope it helps, ggod luck.

I'll ask about both the MPS shift box and the ring on the cam. I'll have to wait til next Tuesday to talk to him.
As of today, all the sensors have been changed and the resistance to all the wires has been checked.
Thanks guys.

Yes all gears. It did it in neutral also.
And it just got worse. Now the bike won't accelerate when it hits 6k RPM. In any gear. It just sputters, but the FI light doesn't come on at all.
crazy.gif

I'll bring it up to him on Tues. I should note that it runs great right up to 6k. At this point we should try anything, and not just dismiss it as "that couldn't be it". Let's make sure that's not the problem just in case.

He didn't have time to get to it on Wed. He was buttoning up an engine to ship overnight to Florida. (1400cc busa w/ 225hp) I asked him to swap out that engine with mine to see if THAT would solve the problem.
tounge.gif

I'm not in too much of a hurry right now. I got injured in a hockey game Sun and may have torn my MCL on my right knee. I could swing a leg over the bike but it was hard to put my foot on the peg.
I'll let you guys know as soon as I know.

Latest update:
Cam timing is not the problem.
We went through the fuel rail, fuel lines, swapped out yet another fuel pump, checked all the electrical connections and checked the resisitance on all the wires.
The Suzuki rep is going to fax the problem and the fixes we did already to the Suzuki techs. We should have an answer by Fri or Tue. We found out there's a few diodes in the wiring harness. One may be bad. The Only thing that hasn't been changed is the wiring harness. $600.
Stay tuned!
rock.gif

Back