no power after 8-9K rpm

big franks

Registered
hey y'all... I've been trying to figure out what the deal is with my bike. When out riding, it feels like it is down on power and will pull alright till about 8-9K and then just fall on its face. I've already replaced the fuel strainer and cleaned out the pick up and ran a can of sea foam through it. Bike has 25k mi on it, has a Johnny Cheese tune, HMF Dual High mount, Large airbox mod, and K&N filter. Plugs were replaced last year and just cleaned the air filter also. Im about stumped on what it could be, maybe thinking the pump might need changed? Thanks in advance for the help

double check the map still in. had that happen once to me on my pc3 ... ran like crap on top end

Check your fuel filter, could be plugged up with rust and can't deliver enough fuel for higher rpm.

I replaced the battery last year after dealing with a bad rectifier and then the plug for it wanting to melt. I ended up just hard wiring the regulator/rectifier and getting rid of the plug. The bike also has the ECU tuned, no PC3, so I dont think that it would drop the tune?

Where is the fuel filter located at on the internal fuel pump? I didnt see where it was, so i didnt replace it....

Fuel filter, specifically the screen is part of the internal fuel pump, all the crud collects in the recess of the bottom of the tank, where it picks up fuel.

ya I cleaned out the sump area really well when I replaced the strainer and there was some rust down in there... so im sure there is some in the filter too. Is the filter a part of the regulator assy?

If I'm not mistaken, the screen/strainer attaches directly to the filter portion of the assembly.

Back