Powder Coating wheels...

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, so I cleaned out my inbox a little too much. There was a member that wanted his wheels coated and I was waiting on the new powder to arrive, it will be here tomorrow, but I cant find the pm to reply. Let me know if your still interested.

Charlie

How much do you charge I have the HMF high mounts and would like to get the mids coated, does it resist high heat?

HHHMMMM coated rims sounds nice!!
rock.gif

I would have never thought of that color!!
beerchug.gif

Cat can you do a red chrome?

If I could find someone who could do my wheels close to a House of Color candy apple red... I would jump all over it.

05BusaLe...the coating is pretty good at temps but not for the midpipes temps. Theres Black (Gloss, Matte or Semi) and Silver hi-temp powders, as well as ceramic type coating, black/silver/blue and a Titanium color but I haven't any experience with them.

frisbee...I could do a red chrome, but the prep for that is the PITA I dont like to deal with. Any transluscent coloring on wheels requires it be nearly perfectly polished prior. ANY, and I mean any, spec of original paint or dirt left in the wheels surface will pop out and smack you as soon as its pulled out of the oven. I originally shot my front wheel in the Psycho Lime and it looked like arse, so many things the naked eye didn't see that the powder just illuminated like a fricken lighthouse light was on it. Actually, frisbee, look over the color choices here and let me know if one catches your eye, if so we can discuss something
smile.gif
Just had a brainstorm..

bacharles... I might have something in that range. Much easier for that coloring over the transluscent ones, I can use the factory black finish as the base coat, simply scuffing it down to ensure smooth clean surface, then powder. Will see if I can find the color.... heres a couple peeks....
http://forum.caswellplating.com/photopo....cat=500

a little darker
http://forum.caswellplating.com/photopo....cat=500

Since its out there, I also have some chrome powder that will be here tomorrow, so might be able to do something like frisbee is looking at.

Pricing? If I dont have to do prep (no stripping for me, but I will scuff and clean) then I just ask for a donation to the Org, shipping to/from, and cost of powder. The offset from the cost of the powder pays the electric bill increase so my wife doesn't get too pissed off
smile.gif
(last month it went up $80 for a month, included two sets of wheels, and two loads of small parts and repeat for the clearcoat, as well as the air compressor b/w powdering and painting).

Ok, now who was it I was talking with about the gold wheels? Shoots.

smile.gif

Thanks for the reply Charlie, at one point there was so much I wanted to get powder coated, like my rearsets but I just ordered the cycle cats in black!

(CAT3 @ Feb. 14 2007,11:22) Ok, so I cleaned out my inbox a little too much.  There was a member that wanted his wheels coated and I was waiting on the new powder to arrive, it will be here tomorrow, but I cant find the pm to reply.  Let me know if your still interested.  

Charlie
I think it was Devil Dog...he sprayed them
wink.gif

(BA BUSA @ Feb. 14 2007,21:20)
(CAT3 @ Feb. 14 2007,11:22) Ok, so I cleaned out my inbox a little too much. There was a member that wanted his wheels coated and I was waiting on the new powder to arrive, it will be here tomorrow, but I cant find the pm to reply. Let me know if your still interested.

Charlie
I think it was Devil Dog...he sprayed them
wink.gif
I think your correct.. I didn't want to post his SN in case he had something up his sleeve for someone else/surprise etc.. Thanks.

Charlie

I replied to your PM before reading this I would like to see what the chrome powder looks like . Still not sure if I could get the red to match the bike might have to go yellow.

(05BusaLe @ Feb. 14 2007,11:30) How much do you charge I have the HMF high mounts and would like to get the mids coated, does it resist high heat?
+1 I would also like a price on coating the mid pipes gloss black. I also have the hmf high mounts.

What color are the HMF Midpipes? Or does it use stock mid's? If its stock mids, I could get some gloss black or whatever and work some test samples on my old stock mids.

(CAT3 @ Feb. 15 2007,09:40) What color are the HMF Midpipes?  Or does it use stock mid's?  If its stock mids, I could get some gloss black or whatever and work some test samples on my old stock mids.
The HMF mids are bare stainless, they are not the stock mids. If you want to try it out on stock mids and let us know? I know that ceramic coating is high heat resistant as well as jet-hot coating. Have you used the jet hot coating?
Thanx!

(CAT3 @ Feb. 15 2007,09:40) What color are the HMF Midpipes?  Or does it use stock mid's?  If its stock mids, I could get some gloss black or whatever and work some test samples on my old stock mids.
The HMF mids are bare stainless, they are not the stock mids. If you want to try it out on stock mids and let us know? I know that ceramic coating is high heat resistant as well as jet-hot coating. Have you used the jet hot coating?
Thanx!

I have used JH coated headers, but I dont have the facilities at this time to bake in the temps required for JH. Some other ceramic dont require 700*+ so I will experiment with them. I have some SS available, and will test on that as well. This will probably sometime end of this month, or next.

Charlie

(CAT3 @ Feb. 15 2007,14:32) I have used JH coated headers, but I dont have the facilities at this time to bake in the temps required for JH.  Some other ceramic dont require 700*+ so I will experiment with them.  I have some SS available, and will test on that as well.  This will probably sometime end of this month, or next.

Charlie
Let me know if you need help with the electric bill, for this experiments!

(05BusaLe @ Feb. 15 2007,11:46)
(CAT3 @ Feb. 15 2007,14
zzwhip.gif
) I have used JH coated headers, but I dont have the facilities at this time to bake in the temps required for JH. Some other ceramic dont require 700*+ so I will experiment with them. I have some SS available, and will test on that as well. This will probably sometime end of this month, or next.

Charlie
Let me know if you need help with the electric bill, for this experiments!
Sure it wont be an issue later
smile.gif
I'll turn more electronics on til its time to practice so she wont notice a difference. The ceramics are 2d in line...I know have some yellow and red to get dialed in first, but wont forget about this.

Back