Polished rims

bigmac0331

Donating Member
Registered
SO I started to polish my rear rim yesterday....I started off cleaning it up really good...then I moved to taping it off...mind you, I started at 9:45am.....by the time I got everything taped off the way that I was satisfied with it was about 12:15......so I apply the aircraft paint stripper and it says to let sit between 15-45 mins then using steel wool or paint scraper paint should come right of...So I'm thinking sweet...I'm thinking apply to both sides and let sit...and about an hour later...scrape all the paint off.....OH HECK NO!!!!!  I had to scrape, reapply...scrape..reapply I didn't get finished till 10:30pm...with taking and hour break at dinner time to eat with my wife.  It was a pain in the AZZ.....I am very hesitant about even wanting to do my front rim....but I have to it will look stupid if I don't.  SO If this is a mod that you plan on doing....allow yourself a full day to work on it.  I started taking pics but I got so darn frustrated that I didn't take any after I started scraping the paint off.....Just letting some aggression go...

Polishing anything on the bike will take a long time, Rusty. Sure it turned out great, though.
bowdown.gif

Ken it took FOREVER.....I have a couple of touch up places to get but other than that....it turned out ok...I haven't really had a chance to polish it up great...I was just so tired last night I will finish it today...

I posted somewhere on here that it is a biotch to do.. Although me and my brother did mine in a afternoon.. stripper and a sos pad, repeat and repeat and repeat..
smile.gif

I have yet to polish mine.. going to do them before I bring her out this spring..
ThumbsUp.gif

2000_Busa_050_640x480.jpg

Can't wait to see them, Rusty. I'm thinking about polishing then powerdercoating with a candy/translucent color...

The stripper has a really difficult time with the rear rim. I'm not sure why but it's happened to me and others here. As a matter of fact I got a PM about this issue not long ago.

Trust me, the front wheel will peel right off after about 5 minutes of the stripper being applied. I didn't even have to scrape it off. I just got a water hose and hit it with that. The paint flew right off.

I think your right.. If i remember correctly the front was easier..

well I just finished polishing mt rim.....today I wet sanded it cleaned it then polished it.  here is a few pics of my work....

DSCF0982.JPG

For some reason I thought you were only doing the lip of the rim.  Would it have been easier if you removed the wheel? Looks good, BTW.

i just did mine.. took forever to do the rear rim.. so i just sandblasted them.. lol..you'll love the results.... btw.. i got your windscreen.. lol. i just work too damned much..
beerchug.gif

rim1.jpg

rim2.jpg

rim3.jpg

Back