Polished rims

the paint on the rear rim is just sooo thick... you should have seen the "crater" when i hit it w/ the blaster.. there's at least 6 coats on the rear...

For some reason I thought you were only doing the lip of the rim.  Would it have been easier if you removed the wheel?  Looks good, BTW.
I am definatly goin to take the front one off whn I do it...
That first day of warm, sunny spring weather will make you love that you did it!
ThumbsUp.gif

light from my work lights were getting me a little ecited....so I can only imagine what the sun will do....

the front paint literally fell off.. seriously.. i did the front first.. and i thought it was all a walk in the park.. i was sorta confused when i got to the rear.. lol..

You don't have to tape the center line. That portion is such a PITA to get off, there's really no need to tape it.

You don't have to tape the center line. That portion is such a PITA to get off, there's really no need to tape it.
i didn't tape the center either.. on the front or the rear.. afterwards i just painted the centers againw/ black ceramic caliper paint.. for that "fresh" look lol..
I am going to have to touch up the center....there are a few spots where the "stripper got away from me"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Is that the best stuff to use, that ceramic caliper paint?

laugh.gif

I m doing the rear wheel right now and I see what you all are talking about what a pain. I did this before on my 93 GSXR 1100 and it was cake. Anyways how long did you give the stippper to do its thing before removing it and reappling. It seems like after 5 minute it did what its doing to do right?

How to protect the polished rim now..want to do this...but I think I would be forever trying to keep it looking shiny

How to protect the polished rim now..want to do this...but I think I would be forever trying to keep it looking shiny
Much easier if you have the front and rear bike stands. Otherwise, you'll have to polish a bit then roll the bike up and polish a bit more.

Believe it or not, I originally bought my stands for that reason alone.

i just did mine.. took forever to do the rear rim.. so i just sandblasted them.. lol..you'll love the results.... btw.. i got your windscreen.. lol. i just work too damned much..
beerchug.gif

I would be VERY interested to hear how the sand blasting went. Do you have to be extra careful once you are through the paint? Did you use sand or glass beads or plastic media? Was there some sanding or cleanup to do once the paint was gone or did just polishing work at that point?

Did you try blasting the center and spokes? Do you think blasting those areas would work well?

Thanks!

well my front wheel is off my bike and taped up....I am going to start stripping it tomorrow night...and I will hopefully be done by sat afternoon.....because I plan on putting everything back together this weekend.

sweet deal i would like to see the finished pics ... would you be able to spray them with a clear coat to keep the shine nice and new lookin?

Back