Did some polishing over the weekend

needlepimp

Quasi-Rookie
Donating Member
Registered
So, I decided to Polish the lip of my wheels over the weekend because my wife went out of town, and I had to watch my daughter. It all started out ok. I removed the rear and began to tape it up. I sprayed my handy dandy Aircraft remover and let it sit 15, I hosed it off,.....Nothing. ok try 30 mins and scrub with a scotch brite..........it laughs in my face.  after midnight now. So the next day I spray the last bit of the aircraft remover on and head to the local hardware store and picked up some Jasco epoxy/everything remover. I applied it with a paint brush and scraped the poop out of it with a plastic scrapper. I still dont see metal. so out came the Dremel with a soft wirebrush Att. after two passes around. almost all of it is gone. A little acetone and I am ready to polish. I reinstalled the wheel and used my nifty remote start put it in 2nd and wet sanded it with 1000 then 2000 grit. the nice thing about the remote start is I kept my finger on the kill button. I then remove it again and used a mothers powerball "mini" twice around, I would go more but I just spent two days on one wheel. so it wasn't quiet midnight yet so i also polished the hub, or whatever that thing is. then after installing it all on sunday i decided the front was too big of a task to finish and have it ready for monday. so I decided to polish the stator cover, I put it in a metal container and put some jasco stuff on it, and almost instantly the paint was coming off. did some sanding then hit it with the dremel and it looks awesome. there are still some marks on them both, the wheel had lines from milling, I guess, and it looked like a wire wheel hit up the stator cover before it was painted. To get it really shiny I wanted them both smooth. So it could use a few more passes with the polishing compound. I will prob. do it when I get around to the front.

IMGA5003.JPG

(extreemachine @ Jun. 04 2007,18:21) Great job!! Nice pics also!! Coming along great! Keep the pics and progress coming!  
beerchug.gif
Thanks, it might be awhile before i get to the front, I'm in the middle of moving to Japan

Looks good but man thats alot of work. What kind of remote start do you have on it? Where in Japan are you going? I was stationed at Kadena AB in Okinawa for 6 years... 1994 to 2000. It was fun!

(Sloto200 @ Jun. 04 2007,19:47) Looks good but man thats alot of work.  What kind of remote start do you have on it?  Where in Japan are you going?  I was stationed at Kadena AB in Okinawa for 6 years... 1994 to 2000.  It was fun!
I've Got the LM508 alarm w/start.

I'm in the Navy but im going to Misawa Air Force Base way up north

Back