Cleaning up rims

gsxr051

Registered
When i received my bike the rear wheel was stripped of its black paint and has like white hard water stains or somethin like that on it. I have tried paint stripper and laquer thinner to get this off. I bought Steet wool pads and that doesnt seem to take it off either. DO i have to use a little elbow greese to get this off? Whats the best way to get this looking good?

That white stain you see is aluminum oxide, also known as "white rust".

It is to aluminum what iron oxide or "red rust" is to steel or iron.

It has pitted the surface, so some material will have to be removed to get it all off. After removed, the wheel will need to be painted, powder-coated or anodized to prevent it from oxidizing again.

Blue1

You got a pic? If indeed all the finish is off you can use a mild acid like vingar and steel wool. If it's really bad you could sand or bead blast it then start with a fresh finish like powder coat ... or sand with prgressively lighter sand paper. Start with 220 or so then 300, 400, 600 ... then mothers polish and you got CHROME! almost.

I would post a pic but the girl friend broke the digital two days ago. Thanks for the tips though.

I would post a pic but the girl friend broke the digital two days ago. Thanks for the tips though.
OK I will just preface this by saying I have not tried this on Aluminum!

However I came across a post on a car forum the other day about using Ketchup(!) to polish Brass. I tried it and am a believer!!! It does not polish the metal, it does however clean off any oxidation from Brass (tested it on Copper with similar results) with a fervor. I have solid brass barends and I tried ketchup on them and it left me slack jawed! Just slather up with Ketchup (Heinz was what I used)and let it sit for a few minutes and wipe off. Might be worth a try before you go sanding down your wheels.

However I came across a post on a car forum the other day about using Ketchup(!) to polish Brass. I tried it and am a believer!!! It does not polish the metal, it does however clean off any oxidation from Brass (tested it on Copper with similar results) with a fervor. I have solid brass barends and I tried ketchup on them and it left me slack jawed! Just slather up with Ketchup (Heinz was what I used)and let it sit for a few minutes and wipe off.  Might be worth a try before you go sanding down your wheels.
werd.gif
Ill try that tomorrow and see what the results are! Ill try vinegar as well.
beerchug.gif

However I came across a post on a car forum the other day about using Ketchup(!) to polish Brass. I tried it and am a believer!!! It does not polish the metal, it does however clean off any oxidation from Brass (tested it on Copper with similar results) with a fervor. I have solid brass barends and I tried ketchup on them and it left me slack jawed! Just slather up with Ketchup (Heinz was what I used)and let it sit for a few minutes and wipe off.  Might be worth a try before you go sanding down your wheels.
Ill try that tomorrow and see what the results are! Ill try vinegar as well.  
beerchug.gif

Back