stripping 07 wheels

bowwow

Registered
Last night I tried to strip the lips on my 07 wheels. I did this to a gsxr 600 last summer, and it was a piece of cake. I took the wheel off, and cleaned it. Then I sprayed the air-craft stripper on. I let it sit for 40 mins and the paint didn't even blister up. The last rims I did, I was able to wipe the paint off after 5 mins. Are 07 wheels different somehow? The stripper didn't even touch the paint. Any ideas?

it may have to set longer.. mine were a beotch to do.. But thats all I did was put the stripper on let it sit, not sure how long but it would wrinkle up.. then used a plastic scraper and scraped it off, in the tuff spots I used a sos pad..

good luck it takes some work for shore not as easy as some make it sound..
winkold.gif

Are you gonna take any pics of your project? I ask because I am planning on doing this same thing and I am a picture kind of guy...Its easier for me to understand if I see pics....Good luck with that...

Bowwow, stripper doesn't work as well when cold. The 07' is no different than 99+ in this aspect. AC Stripper should remove the lips coating, might take a repeat application of two to get it working right, but temp might be slowing you down as well. GL.

On the can it said to let it sit on there for 10 to 30 minutes. The rims I did before were easy. I didn't know if anyone has run into this problem.

bowwow,

I did mine about 6 months ago and the back was a heck of a lot easier than the front. I had to let the AC stripper sit on the front twice as long as the back and it required 3 applications to get all of the color off.

Sand it off.

I did mine a while back and had the same problem on one side of the wheel ... yes, ONE SIDE. The left side of the rear wheel blistered up, but not the right. This was done in 90 degree Miami heat.

bigmac0331:
Take a look at a set of '05LE wheels. Its pretty much the same. I did mine but later decided to do more of the wheel. Everything except the 3 spokes and center strip.

Although both are done the same, in this pic the front wheel looks as if only the lip is done due to the angle at which the shot was takenn. The rear is how I explained.

Busa.JPG

Bowwow,
Just a question....you did buy a new container of the stripper?. I have used stripper on many items in the past and the longer it sets after it's opened it seems the weaker it gets.
wtf.gif

Bowwow,
Just a question....you did buy a new container of the stripper?. I have used stripper on many items in the past and the longer it sets after it's opened it seems the weaker it gets.  
wtf.gif
I can't answer for him but I can say that didn't help my situation. When I did mine I assumed maybe my can was old (6 months). I went to AutoZone and bought a new can and it still didn't blister.

Here's my problem post:
https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=6;t=72341

Bowwow,
wtf.gif
ding ding ding...my thoughts exactly, old stripper.

The paint on stuff seems to work better anyway. Maybe it gets applied heavier due to brushing versus spraying? Dunno.

I would remount the rear wheel(without tire) and rig a hose to keep the paper wet. Then with the bike on the rear stand I would let it idle in first while I sanded the bare rear wheel lip. Yes there's some danger in it I suppose but much easier to let the bike do the work. Front wheels I would use another bike's rear wheel pressed against the front rotorless rim mounted in position and let the second bike spin the rim. Can sand/polish a set of rims in well under an hour like this.

So would you suggest to take the wheels off the bike and do this or leave them on the bike? I don't really want to take the wheels off.

when subaru guys do this to their car rims and they don't want to remove their tires, the trick is a cheap deck of playing cards. let the air out of your tire and use the playing cards to slip under the lip of the rim and then apply masking to the rest of the tire. You will use most of a deck on one side of a rim but you can get cheap decks here for 2 for a $1. Cheaper than having a tire removed or risk damaging your bead of your tire.

when subaru guys do this to their car rims and they don't want to remove their tires, the trick is a cheap deck of playing cards. let the air out of your tire and use the playing cards to slip under the lip of the rim and then apply masking to the rest of the tire. You will use most of a deck on one side of a rim but you can get cheap decks here for 2 for a $1. Cheaper than having a tire removed or risk damaging your bead of your tire.
That is some good thinking......I'll have to do that...

Back