Painting her the cheap way..

06limited1st

Registered
Alright.. Soooo I try teaching my friend how to ride.. He drops the bike on the left side without even getting his feet off the ground.. Then my Dad is cleaning up the garage and tries moving my baby and doesnt put the kickstand all the way down.. Yea, sucks

So I want to paint it now BUT I dont have a booth, and buying the spray gun, compressor etc etc. is too much money for me right now so I was thinking....

Spray paint??

- I love the Pearl White so I was thinking Gold/Silver undercoat then the White, Pearl spray (Yes they have 'Pearl' Spray paint) and then a bunch of clear coats..

All this seems like a really cost effective idea that would work out just fine and let's say I dont even tell anyone I used Spray Paint, I dont think they'd notice.. What does everyone think about this??? I know some of you are gonna lay it on me about this and how I should wait but I just would like to know...

1.Will this work?
2.How long might it last?
3.Will you be able to tell it's Spray Painted when done?

Adding this kinda late.. How bout the wheels? Score them with sandpaper to start then same process or what? I was thinking gold or white...

Make sure you sand and prep your surfaces well. The area you use should be very clean free of dust. Spray the floor down with a hose prior to painting to help keep the dust down. Light primer coat, heavy primer coat, sand, light paint, heavy paint, wet sand, multi coats. Repeat until it looks like glass. Then post pics.

Pics will definitely be put up when Im down.. I think Im gonna test it out first on the left fairing cause that's the one with the damage..

How should I go about removing the paint that's on there?

(06limited1st @ Mar. 14 2007,01:52) Pics will definitely be put up when Im down.. I think Im gonna test it out first on the left fairing cause that's the one with the damage..

How should I go about removing the paint that's on there?
Understand I'm not a body guy. You don't want to remove it, but you do want to sand it to scuff the surface so the knew stuff sticks. If the damage is severe, you'll need to correct that. Your local parts store that sales automotive paint supplies should be able to help you with this. I believe these components are ABS. Make sure they're perfect before starting with the paint.

Good weather is a must also. Don't do this if it's raining, or the humidity is high.

Thanks for the tips.. Damage isnt severe, just scratches you can barely fit your fingernail in..

Thanks for the tips again, would love to hear from more of you people

You are talking of colorrites pearl white yes ?
it will last if the prep work is done right.
someone with a good eye would be able to tell you touched it up. for the average person it want show to them
i dont know how deep the damange is, if its light,then hit it with some 600/800 grit and then clear coat it only if there is no gouges in the paint.

(thepushercg @ Mar. 14 2007,04:00) You are talking of colorrites pearl white yes ?
it will last if the prep work is done right.
someone with a good eye would be able to tell you touched it up. for the average person it want show to them
i dont know how deep the damange is, if its light,then hit it with some 600/800 grit and then clear coat it only if there is no gouges in the paint.
Go with some 1000 or 1500. That 600 and 800 can be a little much when you are a beginner and the soft plastic

i was thinking he might have some light gouges in the plastic but your right the 1000 up would be the best for light scuffs.

(06limited1st @ Mar. 14 2007,01:41) Alright.. Soooo I try teaching my friend how to ride.. He drops the bike on the left side without even getting his feet off the ground.. Then my Dad is cleaning up the garage and tries moving my baby and doesnt put the kickstand all the way down.. Yea, sucks

So I want to paint it now BUT I dont have a booth, and buying the spray gun, compressor etc etc. is too much money for me right now so I was thinking....

Spray paint??

- I love the Pearl White so I was thinking Gold/Silver undercoat then the White, Pearl spray (Yes they have 'Pearl' Spray paint) and then a bunch of clear coats..

All this seems like a really cost effective idea that would work out just fine and let's say I dont even tell anyone I used Spray Paint, I dont think they'd notice.. What does everyone think about this??? I know some of you are gonna lay it on me about this and how I should wait but I just would like to know...

1.Will this work?
2.How long might it last?
3.Will you be able to tell it's Spray Painted when done?

Adding this kinda late.. How bout the wheels? Score them with sandpaper to start then same process or what? I was thinking gold or white...
I would wait dude.......sorry to say it.

1 It will work....sort of
2 It prob won't last
3 yes you could probably tell especially with pearl or metallic

Rattle can paint just doesn't have the solids that automotive paint has. Or the durability. And thats important!
It's hard to get the "flow out" right while spraying from a rattle can - it just very hard to make it look right and this problem is compounded when you add metallic or pearl in the paint.
Rattle can paint is cheap.
Yeah - it would be cheap but ask yerself "Do I want a cheap lookin busa?" If it was flat black I would say go for it, but here your talking about tri stage paint from a spray can - never heard of it.

You can rent a compressor -
Buy a few pints of whatever paint ya like from an automotive paint supply store and READ every instruction carefully ( I like PPG personally)
And clear. I think you can buy House of Color paint online.
Get a HVLP gun from Harbor Freight Tools - they have some pretty good ones -cheap like 50 60 bucks.
READ READ READ on how to prep and paint
Also if you have nowhere to paint see about renting a booth locally OR if you have carpenter skillz, you can build a temporary small booth using 2x4s and sheet plastic.
I think you will be suprised at how well it will turn out....

cool.gif

if you're gonna use spray paint try "duplicolor" brand enamel auto paint and check for plastic compatibilty/flex. follow prep intructions by other members above.

Aight, time to get flamed
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
I can't believe that you are even considering doing this. I would rather it have some battle wounds than to have some spray paint on there and look like shid. And it's going to. JMO

some one skilled like Revolution could make that look good with spray balm.
someone like me could do a decent job.

i will put it like this, what have you got to lose if it does not work ?
try it, if you dont like it save a couple hundred and get a body shop to paint it.
i am all for saving money, and if that was me without my connection, i would try it.
if nothing else but to see if i could. dont take no for an answer, or it can not be done. if we do that we might as well lay down and die.

I'm all for low budget, too. Read my sig! More like forced low budget -
laugh.gif
I do everything myself and am all for it........
smile.gif

But he's talking about spraying the entire bike a tri stage pearl paint. I would lke to see any pearl or metallic spray job from a spray can on a large surface (such as gas tank or side fairing) that doesn't have mottling and streaks in it. Indulge me. Anyone?
rolleyes_extreme.gif

iell ya what ! get a bicycle and a five dollar can of pain sand it down and prep it then paint it should only take a couple of hours , and five buchs after you are done spraying it put the wheels back on and the seat and handle bars , if you are happy with the product you ended up with , jump on the busa ! if not then wait and get it done by a pro ! AKA REVOLUTION!
beerchug.gif
so youll end up with a bicycle and a busa the same color ! takin the wheels , and other stuff off of the bicycle is important , cause as you are putting it back together you will see how the new paint will chip and peel of you didnt get it right !
beerchug.gif

good luck and keep us posted with pics !
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Yea I hear that Duplicolor makes good stuff but I also heard that Krylon is real good too...

Im gonna just try it on the left fairing and see what happens.. If it works then Ill do the rest, if not, then Ill just wait.. Cant look too much worse..

Going to buy the stuff in a couple minutes actually so Ill let you guys know..

(Black Bird Killer @ Mar. 15 2007,23:37) Aight, time to get flamed
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
I can't believe that you are even considering doing this. I would rather it have some battle wounds than to have some spray paint on there and look like shid. And it's going to. JMO
I have to admit that I have a little battle damage, and I ride with it. Took it that we were talking repair to plastics. Pics may not show all the damage.

Yea, went to a couple places today to buy the stuff and did not like the color selection I found so Im just gonna wait it out..

Also found out that one of the guys I ride with has a cousin that owns a Customization shop called Exclusive in Fox Lake, Illinois.. Gonna what he would charge me to repair or to just custom paint it..

thanks a lot everyone!!

Back