please help me on my bike

daddie2k3

Registered
well day before yesterday i was moving stuff around and i rode my busa around the block while moving it around and everything was fine....yesterday i went and started it right up and it was fine i rolled it out of the garage i went to start it and it wouldnt start so i turned up the fast idle/choke setting to start and it started but i turned idle/choke swith off and thought i would just come off clutch and just bearly pull in well it stalled out because the rpm's were low from cold start well after that the bike start giving me backfires instead of starting so i had to push it in....so my question is what do i need to do to get it to start

P.S. sorry if this is a double post but i searched and didnt see anybody with EXACT problem but some close but i would really appriecate the help

I'll play master of the obvious then get outta here. Got gas?

Do you remember what the idle was with the fast idle lever on? You may need to adjust your idle for starters; I keep mine at about 1250... see if that smoothes things out as little... doesn't really speak to the backfires though...

Mine fusses and bucks anytime I try to start it when its cold and if I dont get it to fire up on the first try, things do get nasty.

We have officially probed the depths of mechanic inclinations......

hey chatt(feels funny typing because hometown) i got a 1/4 tank of gas

MC i tried different settings on the lever on grip but as far as the idle on the motor i havent touched....only had bike for 2 months and havent rode to much

LA its pretty nasty and loud when backfires and i even tried boosting off because it was turning over slow and still no luck

Bad gas? 2 months shouldn't be too bad but I don't know if that was in prior. Are you twisting the throttle or just using the choke?

dont think its bad gas cause i only use 93 and as far as choke and throttle i switch up because dont know what works better but also scared because of the backfire that something is going to blow or mess up

Just on a side note, That 93 Octane really isnt doing you any good. She will run just as good on 87 :whistle:

sounds like you have fouled a plug or two. change the plugs and use 87 octane don't waste the money on 93. The bike is tuned from the factory to run just fine on 87

I would imagine it will only matter if the ignition curve has been changed. The higher the number the harder it is to get that fuel to burn. So unless there was nitrous or something else I wouldn't imagine it will matter.

Just on a side note, That 93 Octane really isnt doing you any good. She will run just as good on 87 :whistle:

sounds like you have fouled a plug or two. change the plugs and use 87 octane don't waste the money on 93. The bike is tuned from the factory to run just fine on 87
87 octane yea!

how often do you ride the thing? fouled plugs would sure be the easy fix..

less easy? gummed up valve train and valves sticking open (backfire stuff makes me think about this).. kind of unlikely but you can rule it out pretty fast..

how does the motor sound as it turns over? is it hitting on all 4? does it sound to turn uneven like maybe a hole is a bit low?

leaking valve train or head gasket can do some strange stuff....

pull the plugs, run a compression check real quick.. need to look at them anyway..

leaky valve(s) or head gasket can do some strange stuff..

Last edited:
Okay, just reading your post and not knowing the temp because you hide your location. Always start the Gen I Busa with the fast idle in the full on position. Exception : the bike is warm because you have been riding and the ambient temp is up. Never use the throttle when cranking.

Lastly make sure your battery is good and that it has a full charge, and make sure your idle is set to specs or slightly, and I mean slightly higher RPMs.

Buy a battery tender for that battery if you don't get in a good ride once or twice a week, every week.

My free advice it's worth what you paid for it. :laugh:

hey dad im in chatt, TN and it hasnt been to cold but cool...but its funny what you said because earlier around 11ish this morning i pulled my car up and gave it a boost and had the choke on full and nothing good happen...i did use throttle on the last attempt i close choke and gave a couple revs on the throttle and still nothing

The Busa doesn't have a choke, its just a fast idle lever. Jump starting a bike from a car can damage the electronics. Is it still trying to start, or is it now just cranking and o longer stumbling?

i didnt have a chance to mess with it today but yes i know its not a choke but its in the location of the choke on most bike and i didnt want to say i was messing with idle because somebody might think i was talking about the screw on the motor but answer your question it didnt sound like it was going to start at all but tomorrow is a new day i will be pulling the plugs...do anybody have any suggestions on name of plugs

NGK CR9e

make sure the battery is not low..could cause problems because not enough juice to fire everything..

bad gas?kinked fuel line/lost map if the bike has a power commander..had this happen to me one..pc went bad..if it has one try running or trying to run it unplugged..

also possible something chewed wires??

pg19 of owners manual: This motorcycle has a choke system
to provide easy starting when the engine
is cold. When starting the cold
engine, turn the choke lever all the way
toward you. The choke system opens
the throttle valve slightly to raise idling
speed.
When the engine is warm, you do not
need to use the choke system for starting.

We all know what it really is but even the owners manual calls it a choke so please stop correcting people when they refer to it by its correct name according to suzuki. Besides that, what does a choke system do? A choke system provides a very rich mixture to start the engine and to make the mixture less rich gradually, as the engine reaches operating temperature. on a carburator this is accomplished by restricting airflow...on the hayabusa(and other fuel injected engines with a manual choke) its accomplished by cracking open the trottle a bit. Two means to accomplish the same task. Therefore, by definition, this IS a choke. hmmm maybe thats why suzuki deemed necessary to call it such? :deadhorse:

sorry...had to vent. That craps been getting on my nerves ever since someone tryed to correct me on it a year ago.:lol:

That's a valid point, Troy and well taken. Wouldn't you like to hear the end of that one?

I don't agree with not cracking open the throttle a little bit when starting, especially if there is a lot of back-pressure. By holding the throttle open or "burping" the throttle upon starting you can help purge any unwanted pressures. It's a trick I learned a long time ago from a drag racer friend of mine. Works every time like a charm.

thx e-racer on the plug info i found some on ebay

thx troy i fully agree with you because it doesnt sound right to me anyway to say i have two idle settings but i know not to argue with the cook before i get my food lol so im the one that needs info to fix bike

Back