Bike stall imediately

Bence's Busa

Registered
When i cold start and not use the choke, the bike will fire up and in a second it will stall and wont start again for at least 15 seconds. seems to me like the plugs get flooded or something when the bike stalls. Starting the engine cold using the choke and she fires up fine and stay. Any1 in here experiencing similar problem? Btw...its an 03.

I think thats pretty typical in the colder areas. I experience the same thing but haven't realized any damning affects. I just figured thats why the "fake choke" was put on the bike.

me and a brother in law of mine both had zx750 a few years back. same years, bought the same day but his required the choke or idler to start. mine, i never even touch that lever once. we never could figure out this problem.

I idle mine up to start for about 30-45 seconds and then I rease the idle up. Mine is an '03 too. In the summer and some spring months I do not have to do it at all, it starts and warms fine. I keep mine in a cool garage so I guess that has someting to do with it.

If you follow the "choke" cable down to the throttle body, you'll see that it is not a choke, but mearly a fast idle cam. When you rotate the "choke" lever, ti rotates the cam to open the throttle slightly. They should just call it a fast idle lever.
(May have to raise the tank to see it...can't remember)

A true choke actually restricts the air into the engine and allows it to run richer (more fuel) when the air is cold (higher air density). If it is cold outside, then the air has more Oxygen per cubic foot than warm air, so the fast idle cam raises the amount of fuel so that it maintains the proper air/fuel ratio to keep it running.

If your brother-in-law's bike doesn't have to use it, then his idle is probably set too high.

Hope this helps...Sorry for the physics crap, but I don't know how else to explain it.
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1076606377 -->

my main point is that after the bike stalls when not using the idler to start, it doesnt want to start at all for half a minutes or so. its as if the plug was flooded or something. this only happens when i havent rode in a few days. when the bike is warm or riden previously the same day, i dont have to use the idler at all. i wonder sometimes if this was normal that u have to use the idler. sorry, im very poor at typing and even worst with explaining myself clearly.

sounds like your looking for trouble. lol. no problem just use the choke when cold.mine stalls if i dont use choke too. so then i got to pull the lever half way to start second time.

Nah, you are not alone. Yours just has it's own characteristics, doesn't mean anything is wrong, just different. If you look hard enough, you will always find something that "maybe" off/wrong.

It is stalling due to a lack of fuel. When you try to restart it, there is still a lack of fuel due to the throttle position. The air is cold and needs more fuel to be able to burn.

Next time you start your bike, try this:
1. Start without the choke...Let it stall as usual.
2. Rotate choke lever down to engage the fast idle cam.
3. Start the bike.
4. Let it idle for a minute or two, then go to half choke.
5. After another minute, turn off the choke. Should be good to go.

When you try to restart the bike cold, does it eventually start? I would assume that it will, but it probably runs a little ragged until it warms up, right?

Don't really know what else to say, other than you may want to have the dealership check you and your brother-in-laws idle speed and "choke" settings to make sure they're correct.

Good Luck
biggrin.gif

Could it be that it set at the "idle" position too low?
rock.gif
That could be a problem also.

Brian

Back