Bike Stalling

xlr8tr

Registered
I finally got a chance to get out and ride. Everytime I wonder why I bought this bike, one ride reminds me, AWESOME!. I had a problem with the bike stalling on me when decelerating. The bike is 2002 and is stock. I had this problem before and brought it to the shop and they said they had to adjust the throttle position. I had flip the "CHOKE" to keep the it running. Anyone have suggestions on what I should do.

Thanks

Turn up the idle speed! Seems to be a problem with a lot of the NEW bikes. They don't set it right from the factory and some times it can back itself down.

There have been a few other threads lately on this same problem.

Oh and I don't think I saw your first post so WELCOME!
biggrin.gif

Josh
blues.gif

Thanks for the info. It is time for my next maint will get it done. I joined some time ago, but had not been able to get back on. I forgot how much info you can get here.

Thanks for the welcome.

just make sure you're not covering up a problem with a twist of the idle speed ....

whats she idlin' at now ?

does it stall when you let rpm's come down slowly?

or does it stall when you back off hard ?

or both/doesn't matter....?

A motor that wont idle,has a problem . Especially if its stock,like yours .
A motor thats all pumped up....is supposed too idle like poop.

hav a good one....RSD.

The idle should be set to 1200-1400 rpms.
On my 02 she slowly resets her idle down
to the point where she dies on decel...
I need to reset it roughly every 3000-3500 miles.
Kinda convenient actually.

So far on my 03, the only time I have had it stall is just like it did last night, I did not let it warm up as long as I normally do, I took off riding with the choke on and I made a quick decelerating stop and she died on me.

I have no idea if any of that is related, but I do know that I normally warm her up for about 5 to 10 minutes before I ride her, and I never have problems when I do that. It has only been when I don't warm her up for more than 5 minutes AND it usually only happens within the first 10 minutes of riding.

Don't know if this makes sense, but that is my experience thus far.

Thanks for the info.  It is time for my next maint will get it done.  I joined some time ago, but had not been able to get back on.  I forgot how much info you can get here.

Thanks for the welcome.
Hey xlr8tr,

It is exactly as Got-Busa? said. It is your idle. Not sure if you're mechanically inclined, but it's something that is very easy to do yourself. No need to wait for a scheduled service to do this. All you have to do is lift your tank and the idle screw is on the right side of the bike just under the throttle cable. All you have to do is let your bike warm up and slowly turn the screw clockwise to set your idle speed. Around 12 or 1300 rpm is just perfect. Once you reach the desired setting, just let it run for a minute or two to let the idle settle. That's it, and you're done! On my bike, I noticed that anything below 1000 rpm will stall it. Good Luck and Welcome!

Brian

I had the same problem and agree with everyone above. IDLE SPEED. Do just like bacharles said above and your troubles will be gone.

Back