Idle and age

MikesHardware

Never Forgotten
ive had my 04 purp/blk now for 2 months and i have 3000 on it. ive had my first break-in tuneup. when i did i told the mech at the dealer that the idle was at 900-1000. after they tuned it up the idle was fine (that was about a month ago). now my idle is at 1000 +/- 50 but it started stall yesterday in the morning. right after i started it up and let run for a while, pulling forward the choke then returning to normal, i would start to go stopping at the next red light and it died. after i started it back up it would be fine.

my question is; do i have to keep adjusting the idle every week or so? Is this normal? I know its not, but have any of you experienced this?

Otherwise the bike runs fine, you know, blowing away kows all day and such (my fav was a buell one day...)...

I read a post a couple of days ago, that had the same problem.  My idle rpm falls 100rpms in about 4-5 months, not nearly as bad as yours.
Everyone seems to think the spring isn't tight enough, and someone suggested pulling the spring apart a little to make it have more tension on the idle adjustment screw.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086494329 -->

i had to adjust mine 3 times in the first 4k miles but since then (got about 12 k now) its holding fine .

it is better to let the busa idle at 1150 rpm, that would put some tension on the spring for the idle screw, also in that rpm range the bike will not stall while stoping onm a red light or a sudden stop.

Never had probs on mine....idled at 900-1000 and I adjusted it to 1000-1100.

No stalls or nuttin. Perhaps you should check your fuel pump and/or fuel lines?

Just a suggestion.

Re. idel speed around 1200, mine is at 1,000rpm. The High rpm lever should put you up to about 2-2.5rpm on warm ups.

yes. my 03 drops from indicated 1300ish, to about 1000 over a number of months. mechs but some sticky on the screw and that helped, but it must have finally come off cuz now back down to 1000 again. design glitch someplace easily remedied

Could possibly be the map.... Had this happen to mine. Although yours is still very new! I'd stay with the earlier suggestions first and if they don't fix it.... You heard it here first.

Back