Piston Question, Wossner vs OEM

I run wossner pistons in mine. You may find that the bike is a bit more sluggish down low, but you shouldn't have any issues with compression induced detonation. Be sure to install an .080" base spacer and to measure your deck clearance with the pistons. The pistons have a higher than stock compression distance to accommodate the dish and thicker top ring land.

Additionally, be sure to at least check your ring end gap. It will probably be ok out of the box for your street application, but always check to be sure. Many people think my ring end gaps of .018" top and .023"-.025" second are too large, but I've never had blowby issues, even at very high boost levels. You can certainly have less gap on yours.

I always use a few strokes from an aluminum oxide ball hone on the cylinders as well, but I know of others that just install new rings with no prep and have not had issues. As mentioned, I still run the ball hone in mine regardless and feel it is better than not doing so.

Probably best to get teh head and block surfaced while you have it apart as well. Cometic or stock gasket and 10mm studs torqued to whatever your preference is between ~55-65ft-lb.

These are all just guidelines. Always go with what whomever you are trusting to build your engine suggests. Conversation or discussion is fine, but if the builder is not comfortable with your suggestions, you as the owner need to decide whether to go with the builders suggestions or to go with an alternate builder. Internet answers are only usable if you are building your own and take responsibility for your own engine.

John

Back