JE Pistons

As others have learned,........detonation is NOT an option!! And you do this after you POP the engine>>>>>>>>>>>:banghead:

well, first i wold like to see if these pistons are actually worth keeping. If not then i might get some wossner pistons.

I took my rings to a machine shop, asked the owner if i could watch them size the rings for me. The top ring is set to .020 and the middle ring is set to .026... i was trying to get the rings close the same size (.020) but the middle rings were all at .026 so i am wondering if that is too much of a gap between the 2 ring sizes.. any one know much about this?

i would assume having a large gap in sizes between the 2 rings would cause pressure vibrations or an imbalance.

no
dont over think it
the larger gap of rings would e nothing to worry about
and 6 thousands you will never see with your eye

what about blow by? 1 Ring would be doing most of the work since the second ring would allow more vapor to pass than the first.. kind of like a reversed funnel..

just checked again and most(sites or builders) recommend a larger ring gap on second ring then the first and yours is inline with what most are
i wouldnt worry about it they all seem to be in spec from what i remember on building mine

here is a link that you could read up on to see what you think
Piston Ring End Gap Recommendations

Yes on the JE ring pack, the second ring gap is larger then the top ring. I had to open my top ring up, I believe it was at .016. I opened it to .020. I believe my 2nd ring was around .026 out of the box and left untouched. I have installed two sets of JE rings and both measured differently but there was a significant gap increase for ring #2.

I have no compression/leak down issues....Less then 3%.

It would take a fair bit of a ring gap to get apreciable blow by
too tight however can lead to the ends butting together when hot damaging piston, cyls,rings etc... ZX Alans opening the gap to .020 was a good move :beerchug:

i thought about ceramic coating, but that just adds more weight.. so i think i will run them like this and i am getting lots of detonation i will look into that

I know detonation isn't an option.. what was i thinking...? ( oh ya, i was UII of my friend, 3 Olives).. darn vodka..... i love the stuff :) .... If i am having any issues with these pistons that are a not a build error then i am junking them. If i see signs of abnormality then the machine is parked and fixed, no exceptions, this includes detonation. I am pretty sure that is what i meant to explain.... Anyways, I have "hopes" that JE has corrected the failing pistons problem and "hope" they do just fine for a few trips down the track. As far as ceramic coating, if these pistons hold true and give me no problems and i see myself using this setup in the future then i might possibly think about ceramic coating another set of them and using those. I don't have a large budget, i am already over my current build budget. Adding more costs to my build now would put me behind my schedule and take away some important mods (at least right now it would) but am not compromising the importance of safety and quality via stupidity.

Your pistons will be fine....Just measure your deck height, measure your ring gap and make sure the rings spin freely in the ring lands....make sure you get the piston orientation to the cylinder right and you'll be fine..... At least you deburred/de-edged them, that is more then what most "builders" do.....

Make sure the surface on the block and head are fresh and true.....You'll be good to make mucho power...:beerchug:

my head, block and transmission were all prepped by APE. the rest of the work was done myself, or by a local machine shop with me watching over the shoulder.. i can't stand half @$$ed work. its either all or none.. None of this "you could do this and it should be ok" BS!... I hate that attitude!
(booze speaking again... better go) :laugh::::beerchug:

What do you think the fact that my gap on the first ring = 0.4 mm, is it too much ( stock pistons )?
Thanks

I will check for you when I get home, I am at work now and I don't have the maintenance book in front of me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back