PDX GSX1300R

I’m guessing that the fan is inoperable. Start by bypassing the temperature sensor to see if the fan spins?

It was only 45* today.

I would check the fan, it's easy, eliminate the simple first, as it's hard to belive it actually got hot too on a 45° day.
I would check for low coolant, or an air pocket, if there is an actual heating issue, or maybe the temperature sensor giving a bad reading.
Thermostats go bad too, but it's not common.
Have you ever flushed the coolant in it?

I would check the fan, it's easy, eliminate the simple first, as it's hard to belive it actually got hot too on a 45° day.
I would check for low coolant, or an air pocket, if there is an actual heating issue, or maybe the temperature sensor giving a bad reading.
Thermostats go bad too, but it's not common.
Have you ever flushed the coolant in it?

Never flushed her. She’s run hot before in stop and go traffic. As soon as there’s airflow, she cools down.

Mine overheated only once, in my garage warming it up after an oil change. The fuse had blown so my fan didn’t turn on. That was 10-15 years ago. Never since, and my radiator looks extremely grungy! :laugh:

She has fuses..? Who knew.

Mine look ok.

IMG_1608-M.jpg

IMG_1606-M.jpg

Explored Ashwood Oregon today. My ghost town book from the ‘70’s made it sound interesting. But things change and there wasn’t much to see. While the paved, out and back, road (15 miles) had plenty of curves, the rough surface limited the fun. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

218 over to Fossil is a real gem. Smooth, with the sun behind me, railing endless 35 / 45 mph corners. True bliss.

IMG_1869-M.jpg

Two days and 500 miles.

Day one:

First stretch of great weather in a long time: sunny and dry. As usual, we put hours into pouring over maps, travel books and the internet. The winter moto services are done. Let's ride!

The first leg of slab is what it is. Pretty blustery along the Columbia on the way out. Topped off the tank and grabbed lunch before heading south on Oregon 97. I grew up in Michigan, so the "Michigan Cemetery" near Grass Valley was a must see. It ended up being on a route I had ridden previously. The 'Busa makes a mediocre "dual sport" mount. The cemetary was ok / not great.

IMG_1856-M.jpg

IMG_1857-M.jpg

IMG_1864-M.jpg

The next cemetary, south of Kent, looked somewhat interesting, but required crossing private property, so I passed.

IMG_1866-M.jpg

IMG_1872-M.jpg

IMG_1877-M.jpg

IMG_1878-M.jpg

As mentioned previously, one of my biggest interests was to see the ghost town of Ashwood. Google Maps showed a twisty and paved road leading all they way from the two-lane. Alas, the pavement was pretty rough and most of the old buildings were gone.

IMG_1880-M.jpg

IMG_1884-M.jpg

IMG_1891-M.jpg

IMG_1894-M.jpg

IMG_1895-M.jpg

The Maupin Cemetary just north of Ashwood, again required crossing private property. Sigh.

What to do..? A quick calculation showed that I had the fuel to get to my hotel in Fossil. But I recalled that the only restraunt in town closed at 6:00 PM so I would have to scoot. Pity it was on one of my absolute favorite sections of twisty tarmac. Scoot we did...

IMG_1896-M.jpg

IMG_1900-M.jpg

Last edited:

Day two:

Slept like the dead at the Hyatt House in Fossil. Great people. I was still debating what route to take home. I had an interest in the ghost town of Lone Rock, but it's a +/- hour out and another hour back. And after yesterdays disappointment, I was considering back tracking over the fun route from the prior evening. In speaking with the lady of the house, she incouraged me to check it out. Nothing ventured / nothing gained.

IMG_1907-M.jpg

IMG_1911-M.jpg

The road out of Condon to Lone Rock was sublime. The pavement was in excellent condition, except for some grit from last winter. I virtually had the road to myself, which is an odd feeling. The town was actually interesting and I had a nice visit with a gentleman on main street that slowed to a stop in his pickup while rolling down his window.

IMG_1914-M.jpg

IMG_1923-M.jpg

IMG_1925-M.jpg

IMG_1930-M.jpg

IMG_1934-M.jpg

IMG_1938-M.jpg

IMG_1942-M.jpg

IMG_1944-M.jpg

IMG_1948-M.jpg

IMG_1952-M.jpg

Windmill video

On highway 84, maybe an hour from home, I was in the left lane (of two), running maybe 80 behind a string of vehicles. Apparently the last vehicle in the slow lane didn't see me, as he merged into my lane while I was right beside him. There is a +/- two foot "shoulder," then the center barrier. I hit the horn a few times while moving left in my lane. This caused him to pause his lane change. The choice then being, hit the brakes, or hit the gas. I channeled my inner Sixpack and throttled out. A little scary. It's not the 1,000 choices I made over the past two days, but a strangers single choice.

A friend of a friend lost his life on a bike two weeks ago. My wife is pragmatic, but there was a bit of an awareness between us when I headed out Thursday. Be safe out there.

Fan video

In the video above I ran the radiator fan with jumper wires from the battery. Then, with the key on, I confirmed battery voltage on one of the terminals of the switch side of the connector. On the other terminal, I connected the other lead on my ohm meter to ground and got infinite resistance (engine cold). Start with the fan switch?

Fan video

In the video above I ran the radiator fan with jumper wires from the battery. Then, with the key on, I confirmed battery voltage on one of the terminals of the switch side of the connector. On the other terminal, I connected the other lead on my ohm meter to ground and got infinite resistance (engine cold). Start with the fan switch?

Is it not coming on normally at all?

Back