Passenger burns on pipes

250cc16HP

Registered
Granted I'm only an aspiring busa owner with a Honda Nighthawk 250, but both have dual pipes that get quite hot. In the last six years 3 women have burned themselves on bikes I have ridden. For some reason I've never burned myself. After the third, I can barely live with myself, especially since it was the worst. I saw pants but she was infact wearing capri pants and got a touch of it in the ankle and since refuses to ride another motorcycle. I am primarily concerned with riding carefully with a passenger and found that things like hot pipes are easily ignored, especially since I face forward. If you ride two up, this is a reminder to tell your passengers to use caution getting on and off. Also, be careful. 90% of motorcycling is looking out for the idiot driver. Most of us know all this I'm sure. Otherwise, I personally like the 99 gold/silver busa, and who can argue with the blue and silver?

Most cars and nearly every motorcycle can be abused and require some degree of restraint, especialy among the more reckless among us and the 'busa perhaps is easily the most challenging here as, well, you know.
Maybe by spring, I'll resist something with a more powerful and streamlined ability than the Nighthawk, such as a screeching, diving, Japanese falcon. What's the name?... Like the Space Shuttle, ladies don't like being burned, please remind them to be careful.

Tell 'em to keep their feet on the pegs. When mounting up, the foot goes on the peg first, swing the leg over. Easy. Dismounting, exactly the opposite, the foot comes off the peg LAST. Ergo, the feet STAY on the pegs. This way, the passenger won't get burned.

--Wag--

what Wag said, plus you could also get carbon fiber exhaust cans for the bike .... the cans themselves are much less likely to burn you but the SS pieces will still eat your skin off
wink.gif

Welcome to the board!

I hear you in regards to the pipes. I've also had 3 people burn themselves bad enough to leave scars. One was my ex mother-in-law who walked into it while it was parked so she doesn't count.
tounge.gif
The other two were passengers who didn't take my warnings seriously enough.

Here's my 4 rules of passengering (my new word of the day) that I always give to new riders.
1. Don't get on or off the bike unless I have the kickstand down.
2. Hold onto me, not the bike. That way I can tell if you're having balance problems and compensate.
3. When we go around corners, pretend you're a sack of potatoes. Potatoes don't lean or help with the steering. They just go limp. This goes double if you become absolutely certain we're about to die. I've been riding for a lot longer than you've been passengering, so leave the decision about when to panic up to me.
4. Don't touch the shiny stuff. If it's shiny, it's probably hot enough to give you 3rd degree burns in under a second.

Here's my 4 rules of passengering (my new word of the day) that I always give to new riders.
2. Hold onto me, not the bike. That way I can tell if you're having balance problems and compensate.
3. When we go around corners, pretend you're a sack of potatoes. Potatoes don't lean or help with the steering. They just go limp. This goes double if you become absolutely certain we're about to die. I've been riding for a lot longer than you've been passengering, so leave the decision about when to panic up to me.
4. Don't touch the shiny stuff. If it's shiny, it's probably hot enough to give you 3rd degree burns in under a second.
excellent rules
cool.gif

#3 and 4 are classic
laugh.gif

Welcome to the board!

I hear you in regards to the pipes. I've also had 3 people burn themselves bad enough to leave scars. One was my ex mother-in-law who walked into it while it was parked so she doesn't count.
tounge.gif
The other two were passengers who didn't take my warnings seriously enough.

neat rules there m8!

Granted I'm only an aspiring busa owner with a Honda Nighthawk 250, but both have dual pipes that get quite hot. In the last six years 3 women have burned themselves on bikes I have ridden. For some reason I've never burned myself. After the third, I can barely live with myself, especially since it was the worst. I saw pants but she was infact wearing capri pants and got a touch of it in the ankle and since refuses to ride another motorcycle. I am primarily concerned with riding carefully with a passenger and found that things like hot pipes are easily ignored, especially since I face forward. If you ride two up, this is a reminder to tell your passengers to use caution getting on and off. Also, be careful. 90% of motorcycling is looking out for the idiot driver. Most of us know all this I'm sure. Otherwise, I personally like the 99 gold/silver busa, and who can argue with the blue and silver?

Most cars and nearly every motorcycle can be abused and require some degree of restraint, especialy among the more reckless among us and the 'busa perhaps is easily the most challenging here as, well, you know.
Maybe by spring, I'll resist something with a more powerful and streamlined ability than the Nighthawk, such as a screeching, diving, Japanese falcon. What's the name?... Like the Space Shuttle, ladies don't like being burned, please remind them to be careful.
welcome to the board..

i don't intend to do any "passengering" on my ride but if in case i do.. will keep in mind go give the passenger a warning..

I saw pants but she was infact wearing capri pants
I wont take a passenger unless they have on pants and cowboy boots,work boots,or biker boots.

I can handle my own pain...but inflickting pain on the dollies,that I cant live with.

gear them up,or they dont go.

Rubbers Rules:
good gear.
never touch my arms.
right turn: sit upright,dont squirm,look over my right shoulder into corner...same for left.
get off/on when told too,I always guide the foot thats coming over the bike onto the peg my self.
set-up some signals(slap left leg if you want to talk to me,etcetc)

the list is huge... most importantly,you see newbies and sqids doin this the most, dont try to scare them,dont race,dont ride beyond yer ability TRYING TO IMPRESS THEM.

Impress them by bringing them home to friends and loved ones... in one piece.

hav a good 1...RSD

rubbersidedown
THE ORIGINAL SITE BASTID

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:4.82

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote (250cc16HP @ Sep. 11 2005,19:48)
I saw pants but she was infact wearing capri pants

I wont take a passenger unless they have on pants and cowboy boots,work boots,or biker boots.

I can handle my own pain...but inflickting pain on the dollies,that I cant live with.

gear them up,or they dont go.

Rubbers Rules:
good gear.
never touch my arms.
right turn: sit upright,dont squirm,look over my right shoulder into corner...same for left.
get off/on when told too,I always guide the foot thats coming over the bike onto the peg my self.
set-up some signals(slap left leg if you want to talk to me,etcetc)

the list is huge... most importantly,you see newbies and sqids doin this the most, dont try to scare them,dont race,dont ride beyond yer ability TRYING TO IMPRESS THEM.

Impress them by bringing them home to friends and loved ones... in one piece.

hav a good 1...RSD
[/QUOTE]

+ 1 and one more time, never touch the arms
evil.gif

Fuggn back seat drivers
laugh.gif

like you have passengers
laugh.gif
you got the system on there man! gotta have the tunes
cool.gif

2Chae, Brian
biggrin.gif
. Also dude I called your sorry ass today around 1400
sad.gif
. Hit me up when you get a chance, Playa.

hehe...should try navigating the mount/dismount of a passenger with the corbin bags on...
laugh.gif

but admittedly, the wife IS getting better.

Heck, as soon as I pulled in the drive I said be carefull the exhaust is hot. When she got off she burned her leg. Even she said, "Man I am a dumb ass, you just told me to be careful and I burned myself anyways."

I've got to find a way to letter this onto the back of my helmet.....

I've got to find a way to letter this onto the back of my helmet.....
Now THAT'S funny!

biggrin.gif

I love carrying passengers around. 'Specially on the Busa. However, with the hangup I have about gear lately, I just leave the hump on. No passenger burns since then! No passenger road rash, no passenger bone breaks, no passenger funerals. Really nice, actually!

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

biggrin.gif

Back