Pair/Reed Valve block off...

When I use to work as a auto mechanic the air pump was used to pump air into the exhaust to help the catalytic converter do its job. Burn off unburned fuel(hence the backfiring). If the air fails to be pumped into the converter it would eventually help in it clogging up. Would take a long period of time though.

Motorcycles have a large capacity catalyzer, Which is similar?

The popping sound is the sound of afterfire or small explosions of unspent fuel in the exhaust. Afterfire occurs in engines that have an emission system malfunction (air injection system diverter valve, or pair valve), exhaust leak or unburnt fuel in an exhaust system. When a driver shifts up and lets off the accelerator, the engine has a moment of running rich or with insufficient oxygen. This causes an incomplete burn which causes the fumes to explode in the exhaust system. The marble is the best and cheapest mod to fix this problem. There is no gain or loss in Hp by doing this mod, it just stops the popping sound.

I installed a cap on the air box but installed a filter on the hose its that ok or the hose need to be sealed.My keep with the poping but i like that sound :thumbsup: but if going to damage my bike i will do the correc way.Let me know guys,thanks

070609a.jpg

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/ape-race-parts/112898-08-09-pair-valve-blockoff-plates.html

haven't done it yet, hopefully i'll find some time this afternoon. tire won't be here til tomorrow anyway.

is it true the blockoffs cause the ecu to throw a FI code? im gonna do the marble mod but would like to do the blockoffs to eliminate unneccesary stuff if i can.

Does it matter if it pops on decel? Will it hurt the motor? Mine pops pretty loud on decel.

Bikes had straight through ports without the PAIR system, and they popped with the pipe being less restrictive. It's cold air meeting hot air = Thunder.

Does it throw a code? If it does, you may run in the limp; but I doubt it will have any to nil effect if no code is thrown, that is.

When you take a production PAIR assist bike and race it, I think the factory knows and suggests you remove this part for racing and clog up the PAIR with said part number plugs. Um, that is what another brand bike suggests to do, that is.

I just finish the Pair/Reed Valve block off. I purchase the 5/8 " leg protectors from Home Depo, but they were to big. I think something smaller like a 3/8 would work. I found a piece of rubber that when forced did the trick. Thanks everybody for the help.

Just push the easy button, no need to steal your kiddo's marbles :)

Same applies to dis-able O2 sensor, no need to plug in an eliminator plug if you absolutely don't want closed loop fuel control... just push the easy button on that too LOL

pair.jpg

pair2.jpg

Last edited:
1 the pair mod does not make HP by just bolting them on.
2 it will help eliminate back firing
3 it will allow you to tune your bike to the proper AFR without having extra o2 pumped into your exhaust stream which causes your afr readout to be unaccurate = An accurate tune = more HP
4 tip = use superglue and a 1/2" vacuum cap to block the airbox

Hope that clears up the purpose of the Pair Mod.

Back