What does this hose do?

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
Based on some bad information in another thread, I apparently capped the wrong hose for the PAIR marble mod. I capped the hose indicated in the picture below which is in the center of the rear (closest to the rider) of the air box. I do not have time to remove the cap right now and want to know if I should stop riding the bike until I can remove the cap.

144900d1244227283-marble-mod-question-marble-mod.jpg

Done a bit of research and it seems that this is the PCV hose and I am guess that the furniture cap I put over the outlet that connects to the hose probably just blew off while riding the bike.

I believe that if the valve were in fact blocked that the bike would stall out and not run. It has been running fine and did not act irregularly at all. That is why I think that the cap just blew off and now the valve is venting into the cavity under the tank because the hose is not connected to anything.

Per the manual, it is the PCV hose. Which is the "positive crankcase ventilation" It re-routes and circulates unburned gases to the combustion chamber. Shouldn't do any damage providing you don't have it blocked for long time. Don't need to block this hose on the K8's

it is on the throttle linkage side of the airbox underside. If you have bolt on pipes you may need to block this off to stop backfiring.

I needed to do this when I put the D&D's on Smaug... stopped the backfiring and now I am loving it.

Ya, I plan to take care of it ASAP, but the bike is currently in storage as I am in the process of moving. I am active duty military and am being stationed at another base next month.

My concern is the fact that the hose has been disconnected from the port at the bottom of the hose for about 2 months and about 500 miles worth of riding. Do you think think there has been any damage caused to the bike due to this mistake, or if/when I reconnect the hose all will be well with the bike again?

no... mine came off as well, it was blocked at the time. The PAIR system is a way they get around some of the emissions testing. not needed for the bike to function in any way

The pot is actually what I have capped off. Although, I thought that if this was capped the engine would stall out, but it seems to run fine and has been this way for about 500 miles as I indicated above.

I am not sure if the cap blew off or not, but that is what I actually capped and left the hose hanging with the clamp still on the bottom of it.

If the cap is still there just reconnect the hose you will be good to go. If the cap fell off and the port was left open, I would change the oil in case some dust crap got into the crank. That's just me others may even say I'm over kill. I wouldn't worry about it all. Be safe on duty bro.

Thanks for the words of advice. As soon as I get to my new station and the bike is out of storage I will reconnect the hose to the PCV and be back on the road. My commute is about 50 miles one way, so the bike is going to stretch its legs a lot.

Back