pain in the neck

cycleman

Registered
This thing gives me a pain in the neck if I ride very long. Is it me or do you guys get the ache and just live with it or is it my riding position? Much more of this and I'll be looking for a chiropractor.

Where are you located? I'm sure there is a memeber close by that will be glad to come ride it for a day to see if it has the same effect on their necks.

Seriously, how many miles are doing at once? You will probably be able to solve your problem with a set of risers and Buell foot pegs. If you are over 6' tall than both of these together will really improve your comfort level.

my neck tends to ache sometimes if i ride all day long, say more than 200 miles or so. Other than that my neck never really bothers me, normally my left shoulder muscle (trap, if that's the correct name for the shoulder muscle at the base of your neck) aches quite a bit if i'm out for more than a couple of hours

take frequent shorter rides and build up to longer ones because you are using muscles that aren't accustomed to the position they are being forced into...my guess is that you didn't ride all winter and you are going to have to recondition your body to this particular exercise...after putting a few thousand miles on and tuning up your body, it doesn't hurt anymore :beerchug:

I get an unusual pain the back of neck sometime when I ride. I figured out it was when I wear my riding jacket and my helmet, the jacket slightly keeps me from lifting my head to where it should to be to see all the way down the road. So I am unintentionally pushing my helmet against the back of my jacket. I only notice I am pushing my helmet back when the pain kicks in after a while. I stopped riding with my jacket some fix that was till I figure something else out :down:

Where are you located? I'm sure there is a memeber close by that will be glad to come ride it for a day to see if it has the same effect on their necks.

Seriously, how many miles are doing at once? You will probably be able to solve your problem with a set of risers and Buell foot pegs. If you are over 6' tall than both of these together will really improve your comfort level.

Got all that along with the heli-bars. Gotta man-up I guess.

I did and still do get neck pain once in a while. Try to ride with less tension. Personally I am pretty stiff for the first 45 minutes then I remember all the tips about natural wrist position, soft hands etc. Leads to soft spine, soft shoulders, soft neck

Another thing - I use 3 different helmets. I have since given up on one as I realized that the face opening was smaller and it was causing me to lean my head back much farther than the other 3. I looked like someone peering over their half lens Benjamin Franklin glasses.

Not saying that you ride stiff just sharing my experiences. I have not made any comfort mods except for the gel seat. Stock seat is fine too. Gel seat seems to put my butt about 1/2 inch higher and give that extra room to the legs.

My shoulders/neck hurt right now as a matter of fact! Just got back from 200 miles or so, did it in 12 hours, took a few breaks for breakfast/Lunch, Pix, but it always happens on long rides. It's normal and like any muscle it will build up over time.

I have heli bars, Tobin seat and buel pegs and still have they pain. It will help if you build up to longer rides. I hope this helps

How long can you sit in a chair for without adjusting your posture? Eventually something will cramp up. Same thing on a bike.
Posted via Mobile Device

Only went for a small ride 32 miles in total went into a supermarket and when I got back on the bike my neck and between my shoulder blades were killing me, it was so painfull I thought I wouldn't be able to ride home but after a while it just went away. Never had it before hope it don't happen again.

Sorry to here that ,i had the same problem,3/4 riser and maybe lowering the pegs,i only installed the genmar risers ,good to go .Have an 07 +08 ,08 has the genmar the 07 doesnt ,i feel the difference every time i take them out(100miles run or so).Hard to believe that that little bit of rise can make such a differance and a more enjoyable riding experiance.

I guess it must be a personal thing. I have no problems sitting on the Busa indefinitely for some reason. I am no where near in good shape and I have a pretty good tank bag (beer gut). Just feels comfortable to me in stock trim for some reason. Rode a friends gixxer for 20 minutes and my neck was cramped up even though the riding position is only a tad more aggressive.

I get the monkey butt thing after 2-3 hours in the saddle but 15 minutes at a stop seems to make it like new.

Bottom line is some bikes fit better than others. Hope you figure out a good position though, because it would be ashame to have to give up a great bike like the busa because of the fit.

Back