neck pain

mr8ball

Registered
Does anyone have neck and shoulder pain while riding the new 08? Mine kills me after about 30 minutes and was wondering if its something i can do to change it. I tried to put a double bubble sheild on it but it didnt help. It seemed to blow my head around more. Any advice would be greatfull, Doug

My_Hayabusa_002.jpg

what kind of helmet do you ride? if any is worn at all....your helmet can have a lot of weight pushing down on your neck....many things to consider...start with a lighter lid such as an arai corsair....if you think about it you are holding your head up in the wind and then add the weight of the helmet...my buddy has an icon and recently bought an arai.. his exact words he can not believe how much different his neck and shoulders feel...just a thought....best of luck...

Tobin seat, you will sit lower on the bike so you wont be working as hard to keep your head up to see where you are going! You will have more of a straight view through the windscreen to the road ahead.

Great suggestions on the seat and helmet... but I also am a firm believer in just getting used to it. I used to do some long road trips on my R6 and found after several days of driving, the pain/soreness was gone and my muscles tollerated it pretty well. I think it is just a matter of not riding regularly and of course getting used to new muscles being used.... you might also just try doing some basic stretching/exercises on a regular basis to keep your neck/shoulder muscles in tune for longer rides.

-Matt

different muscles for different bikes, more seat time will build up the right ones...
smile.gif

I had that same problem on the 1st gen way back in 99 due to the high speed runs. 
laugh.gif
I'm not kidding, I really did! I just got used to it, either that or my neck muscles got stronger.

we call it been ' ride fit'. On long runs of 600km I use a neck brace. what happens is that the back of the helmet rests against the brace and in so doing your neck muscles relax as you are not holding your head against the buffeting wind.

Maybe bar risers? Genmar do some that are virtually invisible. adding 3/4" to bar height can mae a difference to how much you have to bend your neck to see the road ahead!

Good Morning guys and thanks for all the advice. I have a shoel helment wich i think is the best and it is very lite. I have road as much as 3 days at a time about 50 to 100 miles per ride but the pain just gets so bad i am glad to get off the bike. I put a gel pack in my seat and had it cut down some and it is a little lower. I also lowered the back of it 2 inches. I have a very bad back and bought my bike because i could not ride my sporster anymore. I love the busa and i am going to try to get use to it. Its got cold here now so i wontbe able to ride much now but i am really looking foward to warmer weather.  Thanks again for the advice, Doug

My_Hayabusa_007RS.jpg

Yes i thought of that. Sometimes when i drive my car i get the same thing happen it just takes a little longer. I am going to do some excersize and see if that helps. Thanks again, Doug

Heli bars will change the wrist angle slightly as well. Your feedback on the DB screen is interesting! I was very happy with my short ride on the 08 using the stock screen.

Sometimes we have to make adjustments to make a bike fit our body. My Road king was the worst. I would ride about 40 miles and it felt like someone was sticking a knofe between my shoulder blades. Changed the bars and I rode several 600-800 mile days after that.

Whoa!

You can't ride a Sportster and you bought a Busa for comfort???

Never happen, Chief.

Best of luck, seriously.  Sounds like you're defying logic at
this point though...

Hello again, I just bought a set of two brothers slip ons for my bike today. I got the graphite one and man are they nice. Where would i find a set of risers or Heli bars? The Sporster i have made me sit up straight and it was a lot of pressure on mi spine. The busa lets me bend over and it takes all of the preasure off of it. I have road the busa a little over 1000 miles and i have yet to have my lower back hurt from it. I had a disk replaced and 6 screws put in my back about 19 months ago. I love to ride and the busa is a lot better for my back. Thanks, Doug

Dammit!
This thread was titled "neck pain."
How are us armchair doctors supposed to correctly diagnose you and prescribe treatment when you change the story on us mid-stream??

I'm glad your lower back pain is better on the Busa.

Now if we can just figure out how to keep bent over like on a Busa, but keep your neck upright like a Harley...

OUCH, hurts just to think about it. (Yes, I tried that position in my desk chair...)

lol1.gif

I rode cruisers before the busa, and after 100 miles I couldn't walk my back hurt so much. The more you ride the busa, the more you will get used to the riding position and the more comfortable you will get.

Whoa!

You can't ride a Sportster and you bought a Busa for comfort???

Never happen, Chief.

Best of luck, seriously.  Sounds like you're defying logic at
this point though...
Not Neccesarily...
I have severe disc degeneration and several herniations.. cervical and lumbar.

Riding a cruiser scares me.. all that bouncing on my tailbone/spine.
crazy.gif

I rode 1400 miles in 3 days a couple weeks ago. Other than my right wrist and my right knee.. NO pain. We even camped out and slept in a tent. NO PAIN. I was shocked because I expected to be crippled the first day.

Back