Pad replacement...ebc hh+

BUSA_CHeMiST

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, SO, Charles over at StreetNTrack hooked me up with the EBC HH+ pads, front end only. Awesome guy, highly recommended!!

So, i pulled out the trusty ole Haynes manual, thumbed thru to the brake section and proceeded with the replacement. Now i DID NOT remove the calipers, i just pulled of the spring and pulled the pads out and put the new ones back in place. Had to depress the pistons a bit to get the new pads in place, but all seemed well.

Bike is in good mechanical order, brakes wok PERFECT! serious stopping power! Here's the problem....im hearing this hissing noise, like the pads are makin serious contact with the rotors. It was light at first, but now seems to be gettin heavier. only put about 100 miles on the new pads so far, but i afraid im gonna end up warping a rotor of there is somethin seriously wrong! Any suggestions?
rock.gif
Im all EARS!!

HELP!!

Chemist

OK Mine are doing the same thing after switching to the EBC HH pads, sorta Zinging along the rotor right? Well what I did was head down the interstate for a few miles and then pull over and check (With My little Fingers) the rotor temps. (Come to a rest using ONLY THE REAR BRAKE) and feel your front rotors. If they are too hot to touch comfortably then there may be some reason for concern. My rotors after checking this were warm, but NOT Hot and everything smelled just fine. When I put the front end up on the stand and give the wheel a spin it spins just as freeley as it did before so I figured all is well.

Maybe the new HH pads just make more noise, does bother me that there is ANY contact between the pad and Rotor,but I am willing to bet that the stock pads we're making similar contact, they were just less noisy...

I'll be interested to hear if someone REALLY knows what the deal is... I'd hate to be doing damage as well.

Rev, yeah, i did the same thing, pulled in my driveway, used ONLY the rear to come to a stop, and checked the temp on rotor. All is fine there. there is no sign of where the pads might be coming into contact either, like marks or ruts in the rotor. NO smells or anything either that would lead me to believe they are makin excess contact

My biggest concern is freedom at which the front wheel is spinning. I have not had a chance to get it up on the front stand yet, but i did notice that there is a bit more dragg in the front when walkin the bike in and out of the garage. Will get my new part for the stand in the next few days and get it in the air to check properly

I know I definitely hear the pads draggin on the rotors more than I used to, but after pushing Bikes in and outta the shop all day at work, Most of them have that Draggin rotor noise.

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144534078 -->

Well, i HOPE im just worrying over nothing! BUT, she is my baby, so i have to admit im tryin to be safe. an hour worth of wrench time to fix a small probelm is alot cheaper than a new set of rotors!

Thanks Rev, will stick around and see if anyone else has the same issue's with the pads!

I hear ya, and I too would liek a real good answer.

EBC says 200-300 miles for the bed in process, and HH pads make a different sound
when braking...kinda like a buzzing or whirring noise
wink.gif

Thanks BA, thats what im hearin! If the rotors go out, gives me a good enough excuse to buy new ones!! ;)

Mine made the same noise when I installed hh pads on stock rotors.Got better with a few miles on them but never went away totally.

well, just a follow up, noise has gotten alot worse, rotors are startin to show a little discoloration....just the right one though. FINALLY got my new THRUSTER stands in today, so i could put it in the air, and when tryin to spin the front wheel, it would rotate about a quarter turn b4 stopping due to the friction between pads and rotor.

SO, seeing that my stock pads had plenty of life left in em, i swapped back, but i know i need to get the calipers off and do an overhaul caus eim almost 100% positive the pistons in the right one are not retractin enough once disengaged. I would have to burn up a damn rotor right now with only 5K miles on this bike!

Chemist

When you spread the pistons to put in the new pads did you relieve the pressure on the brake system by opening the bleed valve on the caliper? It wouldn't hurt to bleed the brake system again to make sure there's not some pressure holding the pads against the rotors.
Just a thought.

I went through pads once very quickly because I had installed the little spring clips on backwards. They then held the pads against the rotors all the time. I did notice that when I changed the clips around my wheel rotated very easily as opposed to stopping very quickly when spun by hand. I believe the spring clips should go to the inside of the pads to force the pads outward slightly. Am I correct with this thought?

I forgot to mention that lot of the noise comes from the inspection plate. If you look close you can see where this piece rests against the pad it's self.

I took them off and noticed less noise. I put a lttle heat shielding I had on the inside of them and it took some of the noise out.

hogger...

I have those pads to and I put them on about 1500 miles ago....at first they were really whirly sounding and then they got better after a few hundred like BA said....it has never really gone away and I hear it in the right side of the bike more....same pads on my zrx and the same thing, loud at first but but unlike the busa, they stayed quit...the busa"s brakes work fine but they are noisy

Back