Overiding sidestand, clutch, and tip over switches

The Suzuki safety switch philosophy sucks.

Kawasakis will start without the clutch if in neutral; if in gear, they require the clutch be disengaged. That makes perfect sense.

Unless there is no way I can park my bike level enough, or against a curb, I ALWAYS park in neutral. With the Kaw, I turn on the key and can punch the starter button without using two hands. If it doesn't fire, I know it is in gear.

As mentioned, all the Suzuki method does is make a habit out of pulling in the clutch every time it is started, so if you forget you have it in gear and let the clutch out after it starts, the bike jerks forward and falls on its side.

Sidestand switches make sense to me. I once almost high-sided as a young rider from forgetting the sidestand and riding off.

The tip over sensor is something I could do without. If I'm on the ground, I have more important things to think about than my motor going bang. It is insured...

Blue

You don't have to be the squid to wreck your won bike when you remove lets say the clutch switch. Lets say you at bike night get ready to leave and someone stops you just before hitting the button to start it. Ignition is on you have bike in 1st and wait to hear what they say before firing it up. They walk closer to be on a more personal level. Chatting starts they being a fidgety type put hand on handle bar. The button accidentally gets hit. VAROOM! "OH S**T! I'm sorry! Thought Bikes have safety switches!"
All good points strife. Thing is i've yet to see anyone walk up and start pawing the controls of someones bike with lights on and obviously, with the rider there to punch them in the snout.
laugh.gif
I myself in such situation would shut the bike down and put it on the stand (providing i just didn't nod and leave first). I'm not paranoid but years of living in The hood leaves you with a sense to expect the worst out of people coming up on you. Would have to remind any mech's about the overrides as well if i ever take the bike to the shop, which is becoming scarce now i'm more comfy with shop manual and tools.

The clutch switch i may give some TLC to. But like Blue1 said about the tip over sensor, in a crash i'm more concerned with my own well being first and the bike is insured. Busa will have frame sliders, swingarm spools and woodcraft stator cover on it. So in the unfortunate event I have a get off and i'm blessed enough to be intact and of able body and mind and the bike is in the same situation on it's side with engine running, I should be able to shut it down in time. These motors are tougher then most think and oils have come along way. And this is still in a best case scenerio as in most accidents theres not much of a motorcycle left to salvage let along ride home. If the motor pukes while on it's side, it happened in the accident and she is insured. I already mentioned one buddy of mine whose tip over sensor failed on him when he lowsided his bus. I'm more worried of the damn thing kicking ON and shutting the bike down in mid curve, during a rare top end run, or on the outskirts of a crap area at 3am in the morning far from home. I'll look into a wrist tether but the stock sensor is getting taken out of the equation because I honestly don't trust it.

Same deal with the side stand sensor. Years back I Was riding back with a buddy from a honda shop which just did repairs on his CBR600 f3 (chain broke, lots of fixing was done). We get about 2 miles down the freeway from the shop, and after going over a bump His bike cuts off and he pulls to the side of the road. Long night of failed push starts, Me racing back to the closing shop to have them order a flatbed from local towing co., then arguing with the redneck who came and wanted to wrap steel cables around the frame/plastic bodywork of the bike and pull the bike up only to have him leave and finally having someone legit come after a call to AAA to get the bike home.

And the cause of all this? The side stand switch got loose and kicked on after hitting a few bumps on the highway at 60mph. Best side stand safety sensor is the habit of double checking you embed into your psyche.
thumb_up.gif

I'm thinking about taking off the sidestand switch. I priced used sidestand switches expecting I could cut off the connector to make a jumper wire. Looks like the used sidestand switches cost more than buying this deal for $19. It's not a well known manufacturer. What do you think? Better than a jumper or the same thing? Might they have put a resistor in there that would be better than a plain jumper wire?
Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 8.02.21 PM.png

Back