Overiding sidestand, clutch, and tip over switches

COLDSTONE1298

Registered
I'm not a 19 year old squid and so these gizmo's are really nothing more then the possibility of causing a breakdown on a long trip if they're left active. Last year I had problems with the busa (2000 year model) not wanting to kick on the starter after the key is turned on and sidestand is up/clutch lever in. Pazzo levers were on and if i had it in a certain number position this would happen. If in the other it wouldn't. Either way it's either the clutch or sidestand safety switches and rather then replace and/or check on things I don't even use I'd rather have them gone. Heard enough stories of the tip over switch kickin on and leaving busa riders alongside the road that I want that overridden too. May go with a wrist tether setup instead.

So rather then rip them out, I heard it's better to use resistors or jumper wires so the ECU still thinks everything is working alright. Is this something I can find at radio shack or car shop? If anyone here has done this, what did you use? I will be putting on a Pwr cmmdr III USB for my akro single side exhaust this year. Wanted to mention that incase there could be any conflicts between it and safety switch overrides. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
thumb_up.gif

The more "Jerry Rigging" you do to your bike can also increase the possibility for it breaking down. Sure there is stories of the factory stuff breaking down,but that is a very very small % to the amount of bikes owned. Learn where the switches are located and ways to roadside repair. Just my
2cents.gif

I am more inclined to follow "Strife's" advice but if you must bypass the switches try to find a schematic in a good service manual. Most switches should be disabled simply by creating a paralled path or jumpering/looping the input and output wires.

Kick stand switch can be jumped.

See above on the clutch switch.

Don't know on the tip over switch, but I have not heard of many problems with them.

Funny timing this thread came up. I just recently watched a guy who was not a 19 year old squid either who had his side stand and clutch switch short circuited. He walked up to his bike, turned the key on, hit the start button (His helmet still hanging on the mirror) and the bike fired (Forgot to take it our of 1st gear when he shut it off) and launched off the kick stand smashing his helmet, broke the mirror and barked up the plastic all the way down one side. Funny as hell. I couldn't contain myself but I did help him pick it up while he licked his wounded pride
cool.gif

Funny timing this thread came up. I just recently watched a guy who was not a 19 year old squid either who had his side stand and clutch switch short circuited. He walked up to his bike, turned the key on, hit the start button (His helmet still hanging on the mirror) and the bike fired (Forgot to take it our of 1st gear when he shut it off) and launched off the kick stand smashing his helmet, broke the mirror and barked up the plastic all the way down one side.
Hmmm wasn't a Harley was it? They don't have a side stand switch or a clutch switch.

Ohh  you said a helmet was involved.... never mind.  
whistling.gif

My first bike did not have clutch switch and I about dumped it starting in first a few times. My GPZ did not have a working stand switch and that was ok, did forget stand one time and that was enough to never do it again. Left turns are rough with the stand down.

Being a squid nor 19 has anything to do with it, it is easy to forget the little things sometimes, and those little precautions can save your shi$.

clutch switch is very easy to overcome, just cross the 2 wires going to it
This is one you do not want to do unless you have the ECU flashed.

When the clutch lever is pulled, it has a 10,000 rpm rev limiter.
+1 EXCELLENT piece of information that lots of people are blissfully unaware of.

Nothing better than dropping a valve because you feel like re-inventing the wheel, so to speak.

Leave the safeties alone. Worry about them if they fail.

helmets and jackets/gloves/boots are safety gear, god I hope your not wearing those! they may cause problems...

I took the side stand switch out and just put the two wire together,only because it rubbed against my air shifter,otherwise i would not have done anything to it,seems kind of silly to remove it just to remove it,its there for a reason

Safety switches are there for a reason; as mentioned before, don't fool with them unless they are giving you problems.

Well the other things is, most have put lots of miles on their Busa with out any problems with the cut-off switches.

I have had problems with the tip over sensor. I have had 2 brake away from their mount. Its nothing a zip tie cant fix until you can replace the unit. I would never defeat the sensor because heaven forbid it does tip over, your engine will be starving for oil, and something very bad and very expensive to fix will most lickly happen.

helmets and jackets/gloves/boots are safety gear, god I hope your not wearing those! they may cause problems...
Thanks for the tips people. Truth is (as some smart alec's fail to comprehend) helmets/suits/and gear serve a purpose for something that can arise that you are not in total control of: A Crash. The side stand and clutch sensor are pretty much idiot proof devices for those that don't pay attention or are not careful just Starting out on their ride let along during it. If I take off with the sidestand down, or start the bike WITHOUT ME ON IT with fingers on the lever to keep the bike in place as it warms up in the unfortunate event it jumps out of neutral and into gear, then shame on me for not being responsible and paying attention. Safety gizmo's are nice (until they start malfunctioning) but paying attention and being proactive is better. Good advice on keeping the tip over switch installed but I know of one local busa rider who had a lowside last year and hey...switch never engaged. Motor stayed on and rear wheel kept spinning while on it's right side. Managed to shut it off and no damage to the engine luckily. Tether kill is a much better choice if you want to seriously make sure that engine shuts down if you and the bike part ways suddenly. We use aftermarket goodies to replace factory parts to make our bikes faster so nothing wrong with doing the same in measures of safety.

Truth is the clutch and sidestand safety gizmo's ARE becoming a issue of malfunction on my bike. I may leave the clutch alone as if this does happen again, i believe it can be addressed easy enough to get the bike started. Good info on the RPM limiter with the clutch pulled in however, i powershift when up in the revs and only clutch when cruising along. Reminds me of some ghetto squids I encountered at a gas station some years back who were on new katana's. After some chit chat I watched these guys hold the clutch in, rev the bike so it's bouncing off the limiter and slowly let the clutch out as they rolled off.
crazy.gif
I can see how that clutch safety limiter can be handy for "some" riders out there.
laugh.gif

Thanks again for advice people.
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

Funny timing this thread came up. I just recently watched a guy who was not a 19 year old squid either who had his side stand and clutch switch short circuited. He walked up to his bike, turned the key on, hit the start button (His helmet still hanging on the mirror) and the bike fired (Forgot to take it our of 1st gear when he shut it off) and launched off the kick stand smashing his helmet, broke the mirror and barked up the plastic all the way down one side.
Hmmm wasn't a Harley was it? They don't have a side stand switch or a clutch switch.

Ohh you said a helmet was involved.... never mind.
whistling.gif
Much grumbling from officers about the 2008 police electra glide/road king having the side stand switch (read out in the speedo), police model has had clutch switch for at least ten years.
General thought is "forgetting to put up side stand is a self correcting problem"
I think the civilian models have the side stand switch for 08. Not in the market for one, so I don't stay up on them.

You don't have to be the squid to wreck your won bike when you remove lets say the clutch switch. Lets say you at bike night get ready to leave and someone stops you just before hitting the button to start it. Ignition is on you have bike in 1st and wait to hear what they say before firing it up. They walk closer to be on a more personal level. Chatting starts they being a fidgety type put hand on handle bar. The button accidentally gets hit. VAROOM! "OH S**T! I'm sorry! Thought Bikes have safety switches!"

Is unlikely example,but there are people who are like that out there. So when you do remove set switches you will also need to play the "What if" game while not riding. Not to mention you Might mentally forget the switches are bypassed due to it being habit of them being there for so long.

Good luck! If switches are failing why do the right thing and fix them? That goes for replacing the switch it self and cleaning the connections of the wires on both ends. 8 year old bike is gonna need some extra TLC. Then prob won't have to worry about it in another 7-8 years. HAHA!

Back