overheating 1397

tonite i rode to class. ten min ride. stopped at gas station for a pop. when i started it back up the fan kicked on and i smelled antifreeze. is this a sign of blown head gasket?? hell I don't want to warp the head or cylinder. what u guys think? should i just park it till i can pull the motor and change the gasket?? thnx

Everyone having heating problems should check their fan blade FIRST!
They melt off!
Second, replace the blade, hurt or not, with a Muzzy blade.
Third, install a second fan, also with a Muzzy blade. Some wire it to a switch, I always just wired mine to the first fan and installed a slightly larger fuse. Worked flawlessly with 14.1:1 compression in Texas heat.
Why make it harder than it already is?
Let the sensor turn them both on.
Mine never touched the half way mark.

I also understand the theory behind the thermostat.
I understand that removing it "shouldn't" have a lot to do with keeping it cool.
What I "DO" know is that I have had a 1363 and 2 different 1397s and we removed the thermostats in all of them, and I never ran hot.

Just sayin.....:beerchug:

it definately has some kind of issue. was it full of coolant? if so you may have a bad gasket or a problem with the head.

Matt
The problem with mine isnt the gasket, its the 110+ degree days in the summer here in the Central Valley of California. I went for a spin Sunday, it was in the 60's, and had no problem. Everyone I know that has a 1397 says it runs hot in stop and go traffic when its warm outside.

Everyone having heating problems should check their fan blade FIRST!
They melt off!
Second, replace the blade, hurt or not, with a Muzzy blade.
Third, install a second fan, also with a Muzzy blade. Some wire it to a switch, I always just wired mine to the first fan and installed a slightly larger fuse. Worked flawlessly with 14.1:1 compression in Texas heat.
Why make it harder than it already is?
Let the sensor turn them both on.
Mine never touched the half way mark.

I also understand the theory behind the thermostat.
I understand that removing it "shouldn't" have a lot to do with keeping it cool.
What I "DO" know is that I have had a 1363 and 2 different 1397s and we removed the thermostats in all of them, and I never ran hot.

Just sayin.....:beerchug:
:thumbsup:Thats what i did,just removed my thermostat.Cool as a fan now,NEVER over half way.

I got a Gen 1 as well and i completely re-did my cooling system. Do a Gen 2 radiator swap/muzzy dual fan blades/schnitz low temp fan switch/High pressure rad cap/Samco silicone hose kit/ and fill her up with Engine Ice coolant........:bowdown: that should keep your Gen 1 busa too cool 4 school :laugh:

i know this is an old thread, but just in case anyone comes across this and needs it.
I just replace my temp sensor, and could not believe how easy it was. I got this one from ebay for $7.50
HONDA CIVIC 1992-2002 RADIATOR FAN SWITCH 37760-P00-003 HONDA CR-V 1997-2006 | eBay
part number 37760-P00-003

I pulled the old sensor, put in the new one, put heat shrink on the contacts, pushed them on the new sensor, and that was it. Did not have to remove any plastic, or drain the radiator. Only lost less than a shot glass worth coolant.

here is how to install it:
http://www.schnitzracing.com/manuals/HAY1028.doc
and the same thing for $40
Fan Switch, Radiator, Lower Temperature, Suzuki Hayabusa@

1397 Busa, all sudden similar problems. motor was never over mid mark (220) even stuck in traffic hot days. Just recently temps shot up and fan is coming on but noticed not feeling the heat off the engine on my legs like normally do?
Checking fan blade and thermostat!

Thanks for thread & help guys!

Back