overheating 1397

And I know a cat that sells, or used to sell, a great dual fan setup!
Plug n play and bolt right up like it was meant to be.

Just sayin.......:cheerleader:

get rid of plastic fan and replace with a muzzy aluminum fan , and relocate your temp sensor or get a second fan setup from a gsx 1000

My 1397 has been burped, a honda temp switch, 10% antifreeze and water wetter. Still overheats in slow traffic or at stops. I am getting ready to install a ported head and cams so I will remove the thermostat then!

There's no real need to pull the t stat imho. It just warms the bike up faster in cold weather. Afaik, 50/50 water/coolant is the most effective mix. When you get your head ported, be sure they shave it flat, or at least make sure it's not warped before you reinstall.

from my experience with my 1397, she can sit in traffic for a very long time without hitting the half way mark. i tried muzzy fan, honda switch, higher pressure rad cap. all helped alittle, but did not stop it from overheating, just slowed it down. after i found the real problem, (blown head gasket) and fixed it, all is well. it never overheats.

My 1397 has been burped, a honda temp switch, 10% antifreeze and water wetter. Still overheats in slow traffic or at stops. I am getting ready to install a ported head and cams so I will remove the thermostat then!

Did that 3mill kit still work good for u w/stock head?(e.t. wise)

Last edited:
was there any indication that it was blown or were you just using process of elimination?

it was blowing bubbles in the coolant when hot and would go from the cold level on the overflow to blowing over the top without overheating. i thought it was all due to overheating and it turned out to be overheating due to the blown headgasket.

why I ask is because mine runs a bit hot. not enough to kick the fan on but if i sit at a red light or light traffic it gets hot and the fan isn't enough to cool it down. might i have a blown gasket? is it difficult to fix? thnx

the head gasket to me was not that difficult. it all depends on your mechanical experience/abilities. it involves removing the engine and tearing it down, replacing gasket, checking head and reassembling. are you having any symptoms of a blown head gasket?

i have an 02 1397 and while im at a stop light or just idling at home it over heats and it bothers me alot but when im moving or when actual air is flowing through the radiator it runs at normal temp. the radiator fan runs and pulls some air through but it seems like its not enough to keep it cool. anyone else have ideas or having the same problems?

I have a 07 busa 1397. I have dual fans on it from a 600 gixxer 05-06.One is hooked up to thermostate and the other to a switch that i activate. WILL NOT OVER HEAT.

the head gasket to me was not that difficult. it all depends on your mechanical experience/abilities. it involves removing the engine and tearing it down, replacing gasket, checking head and reassembling. are you having any symptoms of a blown head gasket?

Not sure. it runs a bit hot even in 40F mornings. when i bought it, the gauge read about half way between mid and cold. now it runs right under half all the time. when it hits half the fan kicks on but by then the gauge continuously rises until full hot. it seems to me the fan doesn't have the push to cool the motor.

any thoughts???

A well built 1397 should not overheat at a redlight. Assuming you dont have a blown head gasket.....first check the coolant. Check it from the radiator, not the overflow bottle. Then check your radiator cap. They go bad all the time. Better yet, just go ahead and buy a new one. They are cheap. Then start your bike with the radiator cap off. When you see the coolant start to rise, cut the bike off. Repeat this for a couple times. Then(with the bike off and the radiator cap off) lean the bike over to the left side. Look into the radiator....you may see some bubbles come out. Repeat this a couple times. Check the coolant level one last time, put the cap back on, and see if the problem is solved.

Back