Overheating problem, Gen1 K3, 2004 stealth model.

n261ygm

Registered
Hi.

I need some desperate help and advice please.

I have a 2004 K3 Hayabusa which has covered 28,000 miles. When i bought it it had an overheating problem which the previous owner didnt tell me about. It materialised that the cooling fan was shot so I had that replaced with an original Denso fan. In trying to resolve the issue I've changed the following:

1. Thermostat.
2. Fan relays.
3. Radiator cap.
4. Radiator fan switch.
5. Had the original radiator tested by Ready Rads in Birmingham, they say the Rads in good order.
6. New Fuchs coolant.
7. Fuses.

However even after all that I still find that when I get caught up in slow moving traffic my temp gauge rockets to red and if I dont turn my bike off then coolant starts to spout out and leak from the radiator cap. When the bike is on a run it performs beautifully and the temp sits just below half. The fan works as it kicks in as soon as the temperature reaches half mark.

When I bought the bike the cooling fan connector had been disconnected and 'shorted' with a piece of metal between the two connections. The fan wasnt working at all then but now thats resolved.

Im at a complete loss and sooo frustrated. Ive spent alot of time and money trying to put this right and dont seem to be any closer to resolving the issue. Im afraid that it might be the radiator itself but I cant afford to carry on throwing money at it and still not be any closer to a solution. The only things I havent changed are the water pump and rad itself...

Can anyone please help??

Thanks in advance.

That's not so uncommon for a gen1.
Alot of people run 2 fans, and that solves the problem.
It's a common mod. You can add a 2nd fan, or buy a dual fan.
Welcome to the org.

Reactions: zul
Thank you for the prompt reply and warm welcome. My rad doesnt have mountings for a second fan but i think I could sort that. Regarding the power for the second fan, do you feed it in to the circuit of the existing cooling fan?

That's not so uncommon for a gen1.
Alot of people run 2 fans, and that solves the problem.
It's a common mod. You can add a 2nd fan, or buy a dual fan.
Welcome to the org.

I would have written similar. The Gen I and most sportbikes will overheat in heavy traffic or left idling in the garage. Add a fan, and make sure the cooling system is free of air.

thanks for the help and support guys.

Before I have a look at adding an additional fan, is there any chance that it may be the water pump and if so how can i tell? Also how can i test the radiator?

Thanks...

I had a Gen 1 that would overheat in traffic, I added a manual fan switch. That way I could flick it on when I got into traffic before the temp started to climb, it helped a lot.

Really sounds like you have an air bubble is the cooling system.

I replaced all of these, and changed the fan to a Muzzy. Fixed my issue. :thumbsup:

COOL1.jpg

COOL2.jpg

COOL3.jpg

COOL4.jpg

I had a 2001 and currently have a 2006. I live in the SW with average Summer heat in the mid 90s. I have never had any overheating issues at idle or in traffic. When the fan kicks on the air from it really is hotter than hell which sucks but it gets hot then the fan turns on and back to normal after that.

Adding a second fan should be an addition not a fix. Sorry just my opinion.

Can't work out why this keeps coming up in the US.

Ive ran at the drags in the high 30's C (100F) and been in the city traffic at
even higher temps. Never had a drama, yes, I've had the fan come on but
no problems at all.
Ran Busa's for the last 11 years here, all year around, several mates do, very
rare for anyone to even mention it.

It was 44.6 C (your 112 degrees F) here a while back.
I don't know anyone running 2nd fans or alternate coolants.

I'm guessing US bikes many have differences? Mapping ?
I wonder if that has anything to do with it ?

Interesting topic.

I had the same problem for a year or more , right after I went intercooled turbo system .Thought it was the added heat from going turbo(made sense) and I chased the problem like you ,using every avenue.
Ran out of options/remedies like you??? Turns out it was the factory weld at the base of the filler neck on the radiator. There was a low spot there where the welds came together, this allowed the added pressure/heat from the turbo set-up to bypass this low spot(I think over time(4yrs) it also eroded that area even more from the constant pressure. It had over heated in traffic once prior to this, on the stock set-up). The rubber Radiator cap base gasket can only handle so much pressure!!!
Not saying this is your problem, but an obscure, often overlooked cause.
I only found out about it by searching... a VERY few others had had his happen also:whistle: I had the weld built up and the problem was gone.
Only difference from your situation is that mine would puke out the overflow. Again ....the symptoms at the time, suggested a blown head gasket.:please::banghead: Glad it ran fine in the meantime and I ignored the problem til I got it sorted.:bowdown: It only heated up at idle/ traffic. 10 years later and the problem...has not been a problem anymore.:cheerleader: Btw I did do the extra fan mod ,in the time I was having an issue. Short of a turbo system(intercooled, on top of) you should never need this mod. Glad I have it, but its not needed NA as others have stated :thumbsup:

Here was my remedy..... I heard about the Gen1 overheating so when I got mine I didn't take any chances.

Gen2 radiator install with dual Muzzy aluminum Fans
Low temp thermostat
High pressure radiator cap
Samco silicone rad hoses
Engine Ice coolant

Question for those running a Gen 2 radiator on a Gen 1, where did you put the fan switch sensor? Gen 1 has sensor screwed into radiator, I do not see a spot
to install the sensor on a Gen 2 radiator? Does anyone know where the fan switch sensor is located on the Gen2?

I swapped the coolant for Water Wetter + Distilled water and a flush and that alone solved my overheating issues on my old '99. I think that's the cheapest thing to try.

Back