overheating 1397

aggarjr

Registered
i have an 02 1397 and while im at a stop light or just idling at home it over heats and it bothers me alot but when im moving or when actual air is flowing through the radiator it runs at normal temp. the radiator fan runs and pulls some air through but it seems like its not enough to keep it cool. anyone else have ideas or having the same problems?

I did a few things.
Remove the thermostat. It works!

Also, add a second fan.
GIXERHP used to sell a very nice second fan kit.
Get with him and see if he still does.
Some people put a toggle switch so they can turn the fans on.
I added a Honda temp sensor. It made the switch come on earlier. I don't remember the part number, but do a search. I'm sure there are threads about it.
I also relocated it to the right lower radiator hose with a billet piece from RCC Turbo. It is supposed to read a more accurate temp.
Hope this helps.

I appreciate the help. I don't know about taking the thermostat off because that's there to regulate the temp and regulate the flow of the water so it's not flowing through the radiator too fast that's it doesn't have time to cool down. I will try the 2nd fan asap

you can get a diff thermostat, lower tep open ,, they do it for race cars ex

look into that and my bike has double fans is your gen1?

eather way get a double fan set up and a lower temp thermistat and run a better coolent!

i am not saying that your bike is doing the same as mine but........my bike used to only overheat at red lights. i could ride for 200 miles as long as i didnt sit and idle i was ok. i have a 1397 as well. first i tried the muzzy fan........no help. second i tried the honda accord fas switch.......no help. i then tried a higher pressure rad cap,.....got a little better but still overheated. finally i had the ass of it and pulled the motor and yanked the head, and sure enough i had a blown head gasket. had the head checked and put her back together with a new cometic gasket and put the engine back in just yesterday and am proud to report no problems and is operating as she should. in fact was riding with my brother who has an 07 busa with a stock engine and in fact was running at same temp or cooler than his.

I appreciate the help. I don't know about taking the thermostat off because that's there to regulate the temp and regulate the flow of the water so it's not flowing through the radiator too fast that's it doesn't have time to cool down. I will try the 2nd fan asap

I totally agree with the radiator/thermostat function.
All I can tell you is that I have had a 1363 and 2/ 1397s, and Johnny has removed the thermostat in all 3 of them, and I never ran hot.

I don't know why it works, but it does.
Maybe because it's an all aluminum engine??

the thermostat is more for quick warm up of the motor. keeps the coolant looping through the motor until it warms up enough to open up the thermostat and start running through the radiator. 2 fans is what i'm planning on.

I totally agree with the radiator/thermostat function.
All I can tell you is that I have had a 1363 and 2/ 1397s, and Johnny has removed the thermostat in all 3 of them, and I never ran hot.

I don't know why it works, but it does.
Maybe because it's an all aluminum engine??

Second this.... JC removed mine as well and it has ran flawless for almost four years!

i have an 01 and i have overheating trouble also. all stock. i have had the relays changed and the thermostat replaced, seems ok now. but still can't sit in traffic too long. i want to add a second fan but worry about clearance issues? any help:???:

I have built several 1397's
And 9 times out 10, there has been air in the cooling system! That is the only reason it would run hot.
The others remedies help greatly but first you need to solve the problem first!

If speeding up a fluid (by removing a restriction, ie; the thermostat) reduced heat transfer because the medium moved pass the surface too fast to conduct heat away, them we could warm up on a cold windy winter day by removing clothing.

So says, not me, but Kevin Cameron in his column a few years back in Cycle world.

cheers
ken

Has everyone inspected their plastic fans?
If not, please do so.It could very well have the ends of the blades melted off.

Back