Open-faced helmets...interesting story

capital bletway? i been in harrisburg for two months and discovering everything pa has to offer... so sad my bike is in orlando... half helmet or no helmet still surprises me around here

I too have seen it happen!!!! Usually its on cruiser riders because they wear the open face helmets, but I guess it's worth the risk to some for comfort. If you don't ride everyday.. I can see it being plausible.

I rode for so many years with no helmet, or just a skid plate if I was in a state that required a helmet, that nothing makes me smile bigger than a huge bug hitting my face sheild. Now that I am older, and MAYBE a bit smarter, I don't ever think of going for a ride without my full face helmet.

started riding on the street when I was 21 yrs. old never wanted to ride without a full face helmet soon be 47 yrs old not going to change now!

When I went over a car at 60 mph(T-boned it when it pulled out in front of me)and flew 90' and landed on my face I more than likely wouldn't have survived or at the very least wouldn't have more than 1/2 a face had I been wearing one of those things.Even with a top of the line full faced Shoei I still broke my nose,snapped off several teeth,and had a 30 stitch laceration across my forehead(took a plastic surgeon to make me purty again:laugh:)so I can imagine what the outcome would've been in an open faced helmet.Also,good luck trying to see out of a pair of sunglasses above 150 mph.:laugh:Those helmets may be fine with the Harley,scooter,and retro crowds but unlikely anyone on this site(or any other sportbike forum)would ever choose one.

When I was a kid (12 years old) I got my first motorcycle. Motocross bikes were my love. Racers were my heroes. I remember trying to scrounge up the money for a Bell Moto III and Scott boots from my paper route. I had somehow got the belief that my heroes wore really cool equipment, so I should too. I saw the easy rider look as foolish - even though I wasn't into street bikes back in 1979.

When I finally got my first street bike (at 16) of course I got a good helmet. It was already ingrained in me. I took a june bug in the visor at speed on the highway shortly after getting my license and like someone else said above, it was like being hit in the face with a baseball bat. It snapped the visor shut and left his insides all over my shield. I won't make fun of someone for wearing an open faced lid, but it's certainly not for me.

Why anyone would forgo wearing a full face - full protection helmet, I'll never understand. Cheap helmets I also don't understand. How much do you pay for insurance each year to make sure your bike or car can be put back together in the event of an accident? Why not spend similar money to make sure your noggin looks good after a crash as well?

Admittedly, that's just me.

Yea I will never understand that. You should see my visor. It's disgusting. So many bugs and rock chips.

Is it me or do you see some busa guys rocking those german nazi style helmets wearing sunglasses and a bandana? I haven't came across many busas on the road but the ones I've seen, the riders were rocking them haha

Back