Open-faced helmets...interesting story

84Ninja

Registered
I was on the capital beltway today w/wife (in the car) on the way to get crabs on the chesapeake bay. I noticed a lot of bikes out today (theyre never around when I ride!). Lots of guys with open faced helmets. I mentioned to her that I'm surprised that ppl wear them because if u get hit by a bug/beetle you're going to encounter pain. I told her the other day I hit one w/ my fullface and scared the **** out of me, I couldn't imagine how that would feel if it hit my face. Or a rock, ffs. Next thing I know, I see a bunch of cruisers and a couple of sportbikes pulled over near the mormon temple, and sure enough, one guy is standing, keeled over holding his face with a couple other guys trying to help him. Talk about the odds of discussing this and actually seeing it happen! Amazing. I hope the guy is ok. Ive had a rock spit at me from an 18 wheeler and hit my windshield, making the most incredible bang Ive ever heard.

Those of u who wear half helmets, keep far enough behind cars/trucks and wear heavy duty glasses!! That poor guy may have lost an eye!

Well I am no fan of the 1/2 helmets, I am sure more people than just you and me have heard that popping on the wind screen. :laugh:

I can understand those cruisers with the big windshield, but a sportbiker sounds weird.

I hear that, i'll get caught at night with my dark smoke visor on and have it up with my glasses on underneath and i cant stand crap hitting me!!

I took a cage bolt off the back of a semi to the top of the shin a few years ago, saw it bounce twice and couldnt avoid it, left a permanent divit in my leg

I had a bug or rock hit me in the helmet the other day.It was loud and kinda scared me.I was behind a semi so I went around him.

I was leavin a family members house headin down a gravel/dirt road slow (10-25mph) had my visor up and hit what I think was a bee right in my eye. Def no fun lol hurt so bad.

Rockethead using Tapatalk

40% of the helmet impacts in a full face helmet is the uncovered area on a half helmet.

Thanks but no thanks. I like having a jaw.

bug taste good tho :whistle: :rofl:

BugTeeth.jpg

It must be something about the overwhelming population of flying critters near the Chesapeake this time of year, because I was contemplating this same thought just last night riding home. There were so many bugs splattering on my shield that I couldn't see through the mess. About every two miles I had to scrape a glove across just to clear the big stuff out of the way! With ever "splat" I was thanking the heavens above for a full face helmet and was seriously yucked out at the thought of anything less. Ok, yes I am bug-o-phobic -- but regardless, how could anyone stand that all over their face/shirt/arms...? eeeeeeewwwwwwwww.

In Little Rock AR they get these massive dragonflys that are upwards of four inches long. I had one hit my throat at about 80 mph. Seriously thought I was going to die. Had to pull over to recover. ABout a week later one smashed into my shiled while doing about 50 mph. Sounded and felt like I got hit with a bat. The entire shield was covered in green goo, couldn't see a thing. Luckily I pulled to the shoulder without incedent while completely blind. Half facer's are crazy.

Full face here....

I can't fathom the idea of not protecting the most important side of my head. The side you and other people judge by it's appearance. I know this woman who has a gash on her face(scar). She is a very attractive chick. It happened when she was in her teens and it changed her life forever. Surgery can only do so much. Most have trouble looking a person in the face after something like this occurs. So No thanks on any helmet that doesn't protect the most valuable part for me!

To each their own though.

I wear an open face helmet on my Harley, unless it is long distance touring. Harleys don't go fast enough to break skin from a bug. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

I rode with an open-face helmet when I was a youngin, but even those helmets had more coverage than those bare-minimum shorty helmets the cruiser guys wear. Personally, shorties are worthless.

I wore a half helmet back when I first started riding. I high sided and got road rash inside my bottom lip and my upper lip still has a scar. I just don't feel safe at all not wearing a full face not to mention I saw my friend get hit by a big bug and had to pull over cause of the pain (he had a half helmet). If I ever go down again I don't want my face hitting the ground, that doesn't feel very nice.

Up here in "twistie" heaven, I have never seen a sports bike rider wearing a half helmet. Had I not been wearing a full face back in 2008 when I crashed my GSXR1000, my face would still be part of the pavement just outside of Quincy, CA. The shield was completely worn away and the chin portion looked like it had been in a fight with a sand grinder.

I was on the capital beltway today w/wife (in the car) on the way to get crabs on the chesapeake bay. I noticed a lot of bikes out today (theyre never around when I ride!). Lots of guys with open faced helmets. I mentioned to her that I'm surprised that ppl wear them because if u get hit by a bug/beetle you're going to encounter pain. I told her the other day I hit one w/ my fullface and scared the **** out of me, I couldn't imagine how that would feel if it hit my face. Or a rock, ffs. Next thing I know, I see a bunch of cruisers and a couple of sportbikes pulled over near the mormon temple, and sure enough, one guy is standing, keeled over holding his face with a couple other guys trying to help him. Talk about the odds of discussing this and actually seeing it happen! Amazing. I hope the guy is ok. Ive had a rock spit at me from an 18 wheeler and hit my windshield, making the most incredible bang Ive ever heard.

Those of u who wear half helmets, keep far enough behind cars/trucks and wear heavy duty glasses!! That poor guy may have lost an eye!

Open Face Helmets offer the motorcycle rider protection and comfort. To find the best open faced helmet we recommend reading the open face helmet reviews from our website and choosing the helmet that best fits your riding style and your budget.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Open Face Helmets offer the motorcycle rider protection and comfort. To find the best open faced helmet we recommend reading the open face helmet reviews from our website and choosing the helmet that best fits your riding style and your budget.

Thanx , But No Thanx , I like my face attached

if u want comfort buy a lazy boy recliner..... if u want protection for ur face then buy a full face helmet. OR jus buy a Harley and wear no helmet at all.....:whistle:

Back