One less GSXR 750 in Las Vegas......

Spudley

Grippin' and Rippin'
Donating Member
Registered
and "GEAR" had everything to do with it !!
super.gif

Buddy of mine was riding Mt. Charleston last night about 100am with a New Busa owner, and another bud. He started getting left behind, and started pushing a bit. Then a small animal ran across the road, he fixed, tried to brake in a turn, and went Superman.

Off the road, the gixxer took out an animal-warning-sign, go figure, and a couple of mailboxes or something. The rider bounced hard and is currently at UMC, "Finally" getting checked out.

I asked him, "We're ya squidin' last night ?". His reply, "Nah dude, you know I stopped doin' that, I had my helmet, my gloves, and my Rocket armored mesh on but my jacket's toast and so is my ride". Pulled muscles, stretched tendons, no breaks, sore ankles. Why the sore ankles ? I asked, "Wasn't wearing my boots, had my Reebok hi-tops on".......hmmmmm...........

"Any accident you can walk away from...is a good one, and you learn something every time".

Hate to admit it, but I've "actively" been scaring this friend off a Busa for a while now. He's still young.
cool.gif

"Some day grasshopper.......someday...".
super.gif

super.gif

I hope your young friend learns REAL QUICK, because as they say:

"There are Old Pilots and Bold Pilots, but NO OLD Bold Pilots"
jump9.gif

(DaCol. @ Aug. 29 2007,18:43) I hope your young friend learns REAL QUICK, because as they say:

"There are Old Pilots and Bold Pilots, but NO OLD Bold Pilots"
jump9.gif
"No doubt....no doubt"
super.gif

Thank ya, thank ya very mushhhh........but originally he wanted a Busa. I reasoned that "there's plenty of time for a Busa, they're not going anywhere" He settled on a nice low-miles 750Gixxer, and I reasoned, "Learn the machine, it's quirks, and mannerisms. When you've commanded that work up". He then saw the 08' and started joking about getting one and I reasoned,"You haven't even gotten out of the first year of 750 ownership, the first run of the 08's will be maintenance monsters" (I'm really working it here, everyone knows there's a good chance the 08's WILL be monsters, but not in the maintenance department !!!
super.gif
) He then says his buddy bought a 07' Busa, and he's thinking about trading the 750 in. I reasoned, "Nah, you'll never get enough besides you haven't conquered the machine yet, does he want to end up in the hospital or something ?".

So you can see, "I Have" been trying to bring him up slowly as he's young and I'd hate to see him kill himself. I didn't trust his decision making with the 750 either way by the stories he was telling. I've told him horror story after horror story about new Busa owners cracking that throttle wide open, getting fixated, and slamming head-long into a wall, a truck, or a ditch.

Not all accidents we have are we able to walk away from............. I'll keep reasoning as long as there's breath in my lungs............until he's ready.........
super.gif

super.gif

Your a good friend
beerchug.gif
and maybe now he will listen even more! Heck he may now even be the next "Gear Nazi"!
biggrin.gif
Glad he made it!

what is the difference between a 750 and a hayabusa? this is his first bike? i dont think you did anything steering him clear of a hayabusa... you should have steered him clear of the 750.

glad he is ok tho.

glad to here he's ok.
beerchug.gif

I've road those 750's I think the busa'a power is easier to handle cause of the extra weight.

First off, really glad he is OK. Really, really, glad.

Now with that in mind man, you are going to be dealing with this most of your life. Clearly you know your friend lacks the restraint levels to properly handle the Hayabusa, as evidenced by his (as you noted) target fixation, braking in a turn, and what I would believe (from your description) was a *Borat voice* "Hi-Side!" on a 750...

Good luck man, I hope your friend feels better and I really hope that he learned something from the situation.

(Nekosohana @ Aug. 30 2007,06:56) First off, really glad he is OK.  Really, really, glad.

Now with that in mind man, you are going to be dealing with this most of your life.  Clearly you know your friend lacks the restraint levels to properly handle the Hayabusa, as evidenced by his (as you noted) target fixation, braking in a turn, and what I would believe (from your description) was a *Borat voice* "Hi-Side!" on a 750...

Good luck man, I hope your friend feels better and I really hope that he learned something from the situation.
Uhhhh....errr...ummm... "ME TOO !!!"
super.gif

(Spudley @ Aug. 30 2007,08:06)
(Nekosohana @ Aug. 30 2007,06:56) First off, really glad he is OK.  Really, really, glad.

Now with that in mind man, you are going to be dealing with this most of your life.  Clearly you know your friend lacks the restraint levels to properly handle the Hayabusa, as evidenced by his (as you noted) target fixation, braking in a turn, and what I would believe (from your description) was a *Borat voice* "Hi-Side!" on a 750...

Uhhhh....errr...ummm... "ME TOO !!!"
super.gif
Sorry, maybe I was a little too critical.

I just don't want you to feel bad when he hurts himself worse is all.

Glad he made it through it. I saw a number of experienced riders go down in April in Tennessee. Sometimes shid happens. Hope he had good insurance.

I am in the same boat Young friend never rode until he
took the MSF course last week now going to get a busa
this weekend. A few of use have tried to talk him out of
this to no avail now all we can do is pray.

It's less about skill to me than discretion. Those who lack discretion don't need something like a Hayabusa. Honestly, those who lack discretion don't need a motorcycle.

ahhh...kids....mabey i have been lucky ...only been down (seriously) once...dont know if i told the story or not....had a gsx1100rw loved it...only owned it for a month (yes i had been rideing for over 10 years with a vmax so i was not new to speed) and i did the unbeliveable...i fell asleep. only accident i ever had...rest were just 5 mph lay overs or in florida a back tire getting kicked out by sand in the corners when you turn to close to the curb

(extensive @ Aug. 30 2007,05:35) what is the difference between a 750 and a hayabusa?  this is his first bike?  i dont think you did anything steering him clear of a hayabusa... you should have steered him clear of the 750.

glad he is ok tho.
?
rock.gif

550cc difference.

I know that the 750ccs can be madness, but come on.

You probably had to almost break your own arm to get a guy who wants a Hayabusa to drop 550ccs (73% of the 750ccs size alone) to start his motorcycle riding career (hopefully a long, exciting and enjoyable one).

Good for you! He may have completely launched off Mt. Charleston if it wasn't for you!
bowdown.gif

Back