Well we are one less busa in the world...

Dr E

Donating Member
Registered
Simple and short. A good friend of mine was behind me today on a canyon run and at 70+ he goes long in a corner and I watch him cartwheel with his bike twice, thrown off in a high side maneuver and then the bike flip over him. Distance traveled during the crash ~400 feet. Saving grace...extremely soft dirt and weeds.

He went to the hospital (in shock)...sore, no broken bones...now home on pain meds and his bike is at my house. After the hospital and before he went home he was going to come by my house. I did not want him to see the extreme damage so I stripped the bike down (for which he was very greatful) ...damage is as follows:

All plastic blown to pieces
All lights (well, they are spread all over)
Stator cover (now I know why you need WoodCraft)
Throttle handle (folded, and broken off triple tree)
Front wheel split in half (both length and cross wise)
Right front peg folded over
Sub frame bent and broken (looks like a German pretzel)
Gauges (whats left of them blown to pieces)

This is the fourth time in my ridding career that I have watched a friend go down. He takes total responsibility in what happened and there is no big issue. Just a damned stupid accident...but his saving grace??? ATGATT!!! He spun on his helmet but no head damage, his leather jacket with pads took the impact, riding boots and solid pants.

I am just glad I still have a friend tonight who did not die.

Everyone...please be careful

damn sorry to hear this. Glad he is going to be ok, the bike can be rebuilt :thumbsup:

If he is going to rebuild (does he have insurance?) put up a list with the year/color and I'm sure we can help him out :beerchug:

WOW!!! sounds like he dodged a bullet...glad that he was wearing his gear brother :beerchug:

Thread title kinda scared for me a sec..... Sorry about your friends accident glad he still here..... Bikes although a tragic loss really pales in comparison with what is truly important, hope he realizes that while looking at the battered bike.

i dont think this is a fail , i think this is a win, hope your friend will be ok

All these riders going down. it's like a plauge of bad news. thank heavens he's OK

Thank you for the offer of help for him...I am either going to help him part the bike out or I will buy it from him if he comes up with a price and will turn it into a track bike.

Either way I am trying to help him look at the positive that he is still alive and he does not have to do anything right now other then get better. The bike is covered and stored for the winter if he wants.

We have had so many accidents, riders lost, riders hurt, even when you do things right Murphy will still come and bite you in the darn butt!

Your friend is very lucky to get away with what little damage he suffered to his body. Hopefully he will be back to riding asap.

This type of topic is getting very repetitive on this forum and I for one am getting tired of riders getting hurt or worse. Ride within your limits, there is a time and place for everything. The place for knee dragging is not on public roads, knee dragging and aggressive riding is for the track. Think about your family and the people that care about you before you push your limits on the road.

could be worse you can replace the bike he sounds like he did very well so I'm going to say it a different way. Congratulations for still having your friend in your life, there have been so many injuries and even deaths lately and to hear he made it without any broken bones and everything more or less in tact that is definitely a win. Hope he gets on his feet again soon man.

I am glad to hear your friend will be okay!

I am a pretty new rider and had my first spill last month. ATGATT SAVED MY ARSE! And actually in more ways that one.

With my job I negotiate contracts between the Evil managed care company I work for, and physcians, hospitals, and facilities. I can not exactly go into meeting looking all rashed an tore up.

The most common comment that I have received from people was that It is hard to believe I was in a motorcyle crash because I have no rash, or scrapes on my hands, arms, and upper body. My answer is simply ATGATT!!

Okay of my gear nazi soapbox for now. :)

Back