Ok, Stock Headlight sucks! Any advice?

San Diego Busa

Registered
Ok, went on my first decent night run last night, in the twisties

The beam seems to have a sharp horizontal cutoff and when in a twisty, is almost useless.

Any else have this issue??

Assuming an HID upgrade would still use the stock reflector and still have the same issue.

Anyone modify the reflector yet?

Ideas?

Thanks

If you go hid, you will light up the night. Do a search and you can see the difference. plus it reflects street signs and other things.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ha! Yeah, but considering i work almost everyday until dark............. :)

I stayed with the factory lights on the Gen II because of the issue I had on my Gen I and they improved the lighting, but yeah, I don't ride at night unless I have to and I actually obey the letter of the law at night. You're right about what happens when you lean the baby over. They have touring lights that might help with your issue if you're concerned about HIDs or don't think they'll help when getting over.

You might shoot Tim .... Pashnit a PM. He tours and has been known to lean a Busa. He might have a fix for you.

I also did a search for you :whistle:
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...126209-why-retrofits-safer-than-hid-kits.html

P.S. he is currently stationed in Korea so not sure if he is doing any upgrade work now

175018d1264837957-2hips-operation-overkill-0129001823.jpg

send me a dremel and a set of picks and i'll see what i can come up with, lol. that was by far my best work. that's 2hip's retro.

Ha! Yeah, but considering i work almost everyday until dark............. :)

Honestly how much twisty night riding are you gonna really do?

I get wanting a better head light period, but for the sake of hitting the twisties at night? Sound like an accident waiting to happen to me.....:rulez:

Dude, the HID lights are a must! Believe me, I had the same surprise that you did on the twisties, the light was dull and pretty much pointed to the ground at about 100 feet. In addition to the HID install I also adjusted the beam up a bit. The white light that the HIDs put out and in addition the adjustment up made the twisties light up even when leaning her over. The only issue I have now is my high beam is way too high. Now I only use the high beam to flash oncoming cagers attempting to make left hand turns in front of me.

Here is a picture of before and after:

Before and after.jpg

Bottom line, the Gen2 headlamp design sucks. HID's help some, but the inherent problem is the lack of being able to adjust the high and low beam individually. If I adjust my low beams to correct level, then the high beam is way to high. If I adjust the high beam so it is right, the low beam shines on the ground 10 feet in front of the bike. So for now I have to live with a low beam that's a bit to low, and a high beam that's a bit too high.

If you are running or can only run through your twisties at night you got a serious problem that may not be solved by simply increasing your headlight intensity.

I really never paid to much attention to how much light you loose when turning but you do loose some light in the direction you are traveling through the turn, my instinct was to always let up and go through the turn slower. Having a headlight with a lot of glare may not help you especially if you blind a cager coming around the corner with a non retro fitted HID light..

damn. wonder what it'd take to retrofit that sucker. all the electronics are probably built into the bike, not the light.

If you are running or can only run through your twisties at night you got a serious problem that may not be solved by simply increasing your headlight intensity.

I really never paid to much attention to how much light you loose when turning but you do loose some light in the direction you are traveling through the turn, my instinct was to always let up and go through the turn slower. Having a headlight with a lot of glare may not help you especially if you blind a cager coming around the corner with a non retro fitted HID light..

Yeah, that video basically describes my gripe, AND gives me my answer! :bowdown:

Back