HID questions, high and low or just low beam?

hemi

Registered
Just received my ddm hid h7 35w 6000 lowbeam and got it installed over the weekend. Really like it so far, only had the chance to take it out once so far at night to see how bright she is. The h9 35w 6000 high beam should be here this week. Trying to decide if i should install the high beam, or leave the stock high beam. Read quite a few threads where members were just running the low beam hid, any reason why? I know i will lose the pass to flash function on my 08, but never use it anyway. Guess i might as well install it and see how i like it, then decide. Think i need to adjust the headlight up a tad, it seems a bit low while riding at night with just the low beam, but gonna wait and try the high beam before i go messing with stuff. I have also heard of a few problems with gauges acting up or the clock re-setting with hid's, if i use the hid starting procedure (hold in starter button and then clutch it to start it, so lights don't come on until engine's running), would there still be a possibility of the gauges/clock acting up?

I don't have any problems with mine, but the hi beam on mine is useless. I have the low aimed up to where it's all I need. The blue hi beam light on the dash is the only way I can tell the hi beam is on. I have 35w 5000k hi and low too.

The low beam hid is much, much brighter. That's why i was thinking of just aiming it up a tad bc i still have to kick the high beam on at night bc i can't see too far in front of me.

Also, when hooking up the ddm hid kit w/spade connector, i have the blue wire from the ddm kit going to the white wire of the headlight harness/connector, and the black from the ddm kit to the black/white of the headlight connector. Seems to work fine so i'm guessing i have it hooked up correct?

my prev 08 I had both installed and just found it a hassle getting the alignment on the high beam a pain (you have to get a washer and fiddle finding the right angle) and got sick of taking the front apart trying to get it perfect and ended up just leaving it slightly out - this bike I decided to go just the low and leave the high, I have found the stock high beam quite sufficient on dark night, if I ever decide to tour or need extra light I will go the Clearwater lights - better and easier. I think you will find most people on other forums have had a similar exp thats why they just do the low

Aim your headlight first and see then what you think of your stock hi beam. Even when I aimed my low beam down I wasn't impressed with the HID Hi beam. I never have people flash there lights at me like my Hi beam is on either(as said, my low bem is aimed up so I don't need the Hi)

How easy is it to adjust the headlight up a tad? Just removed the chin skirt under the nose and i see 2 10mm bolts, one on the bottom of the headlight and one up towards the top offset to the throttle side. Which one is the vertical adjustment, and how many counter-clockwise turns should i crank it to aim the light up a bit

I want to do both, just worried that if i aim my lowbeam where i need it so it lights up the road well in front of me that the highbeam will be shooting at the sky. I guess the high beam is easy enough to install, i will just adjust my lowbeam to where i like it and then see how i like the high beam

I forget which one is up/down. You won't move anything drastically either, you'll see it move and making adjustments is simple. It will be easier if you do it when it's dark too.

started turning the bolt on the bottom of the nose by the high beam and it looks like it is adjusting it up/down. Just want to make sure it's the right one before i turn it too much and screw up my headlight adjustment

started turning the bolt on the bottom of the nose by the high beam and it looks like it is adjusting it up/down. Just want to make sure it's the right one before i turn it too much and screw up my headlight adjustment

:rofl:

get it ???

your adjusting headlight and you dont want to screw it up....

:rofl:

sorry I just thought that was funny...:bowdown:

Just turn it nice and easy.
If you feel resistance you have reached its limit.

Here is my 2 cents...HID high beam is good for lighting up signs and trees but not the road. The flash still worked on mine. The low beam seems to be out of adjustment mainly because the road is lit up much more then the stocker. If you adjust it up it will be better for you but not the other drivers. I did have issues with losing my clock and the shift light would act nutz with the HID high hooked up ( even not using it )...haven't had any problems with just the low.

I run both and havent had issues! I did adjust mine for best low beam running at night... and the high beam fills in the rest. I run both during the day!

Gen I with both hi&lo at 50W
Needed to take the high from the battery using the original line to switch a rely to turn on the high.
I think the low is enough.
One could use brighter halogen on high beam if more light is somehow needed.
Next bike will only have low beam and also that 50W

Back