Hayabusa Headlight suck!!!

Fate

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, still getting use to riding in Florida. NO ONE USES THEIR TURN SIGNALS HERE, no one follows any tyoe of rules of the road. I have had so many close calls here. I thought cagers were scary in Saint Louis. I went for a late night ride the other night. A mile out someone pulls out in front of me and I just missed hitting them, about a mile past that I am on a dark street that is a main road and speed limit is 55. 3 girls run acrost the road. I did not see them until I was right on them. I came very close to hitting one of them. Right after that I am crossing a road and someone on other side, with no signal, turns left as I am going straight and almost takes me out. All in one night. Well, getting back to the post title. The mishap with the girls crossing the street and the amount of night riding I have been doing lately, I realize how bad stock headlights are. I have a brighter high beam light bulb "Sylvania", but needed to adjust the high beam up. I bought a HID headlight kit for dims months ago from a member here (milesbm) but never installed. Just installed it today. Going to go out tonight and see how it works. I adjusted my brights too. The 08 has a little better headlight, and thank god they impoved the piss poor headlights. I love my bike, don't get me wrong, but you would think that a bike that can go almost 200 mph would have a half way decent headlight.

HIDs are your friend.
beerchug.gif

go with a 5K lowbeam and stick with the stock or the sylviania highbeam

go with a 5K lowbeam and stick with the stock or the sylviania highbeam
I am not sure how bright the bulb is. I have the sylvania in the high beam. The beam is blue in color. It starts really blue and turns bluish white. I have seen brighter ones at the bash.

Getting ready to head out and try them. I am downloading some pics of the light. Not sure how they will look, took them with my phone.

I have run 3 different bulbs in both beams..

Stockers: Great light for a 50mph bike at night...
5K lights: brightest of any clean white light with the best range, around twice the "usable" light over stockers
6K lights: slight bluish color, about 25% less "usable" light than 5K IMO
SilverStar: Fairly white color and about 20% more "usable" light than stockers, nice alternative to stocker for highbeam
8K lights: Way blue (will get you inappropriate attention from LEOS) not very effective lighting IMO.. all show, little improvement in light

On the use if HID in highbeams: I think the lens focus is not optimized for HID and so all you end up with is a "brilliant" looking light with little more "usable" light than a silverstar..

Converting the highbeam to the lowbeam? not for me, I need a light that works and lights up the road, my experience with trying to make the highbeam work as lowbeam just did not do it for me...

thats bright.

i have a 6000k low beam and switched the wiring so my high beam runs all the time and i can switch my HID on or off.

I don't think I would want the high and low beam switched around. The high beam looks dim on the wall, but is very bright at night. It was about a foot lower on the wall before adjusting it. The dim was higher. The HID starts really blue, then within a minute gets really white. Not sure what wattage.

Took it for a spin and bright was up in the sky somewhere, got it adjusted down and going to play with it a bit. Was not totally dark out yet but was bright as heck.

I agree totally on both the lights and the FL drivers.
I do ride at night and my last bike ,a Yammy FZ1, had much better illumination.
I guess the best cure for the Busa would be a 5/6K low HID and a Silverstar for the high beam.
Any suggestion on where to find them at a good price?

Back