Vinyl Tint Headlight = Bad Idea

InfiniteReality

Registered
If you run your highbeam alot, do not tint your headlight with vinyl and possibly a concern with the dark headlight covers. I've logged 300 miles on mine with while the 55w HIDs didn't seem to have any effect on it(only used it 25% or less of those miles), the high beam is starting to make it bubble a bit. So next time I got my fairings off, the nose will come off and pull the vinyl off. I hope it didn't mess anything up, don't think it did.

Also on a side note, my headlights are wired independantly of each other, so neither can be on at the same time. high beam is during day time and low HID is at night. I think it may have been worse if they were wired like stock where low and high are on at the same time which would produce more heat.

I'm thinking of getting my headlight tinted to perfeclty match my front CA smoked signals. My only concern is wondering if running the high beam on majority of the time, if the tint will fade in that spot??

theres some jdm spray on ebay that ive been told is the best spray tint and its what i plan to use.

powerbronze has a cover that might work.

could you tint the upper portion and leave the high beam area untinted? think it might look cool.

IMO, I'd get it prof tinted... like when they mix black and clear auto paint. It'll look just as shiney as the bike and last alot longer. I had my tails on the SS tinted for a year and still look brand new.

Yah know, I thought of the same thing, except to just do same with vinyl. It would work for sure, but not sure how good it'd look though. What would work nicely though is if you could paint the inside of the high beam black, leave upper chrome. Then add the tint on the upper part of the housing and get best of all worlds.

I wouldn't recommend vinyl for the long haul. It's going to create air bubbles no matter what, and the repeated hot/cold cycling will eventually cause it to discolor/fade/dry/crack/distort. Unless you plan on replacing it ever couple months...

I wouldn't recommend vinyl for the long haul. It's going to create air bubbles no matter what, and the repeated hot/cold cycling will eventually cause it to discolor/fade/dry/crack/distort. Unless you plan on replacing it ever couple months...

Or a weekend like I did. :) What about tinting the headlight slightly, think the paint would discolor?

Anyone have the Powerbronze one? How does it go on, it does not look like it has any way to mount up?

Most people are trying to UP their headlight output; why are you trying to LOWER it?

I did UP it with a 55w 5000K HID. With the vinyl and 55w HID, it puts out the same light as my 35W 6000K HID I had on my Gen1.

Honestly, I want all the front lenses to match (and as well as the rear) and as long as the HID and vinyl didn't LOWER the lighting output compared to stock, I think I gained in both looks and light output. :cheerleader:

Vinyl or a cover will cause the headlamp to retain heat, and with 55w HID's....that's a lot of heat for sure. Good luck!

yep, already seen that with my 65w(I think) high beam. 55w HIDs didn't seem to bother it, but of course it's cooler at night too...so maybe that helped.

Vinyl's gotta come off though.... I could only imagine if I had the lights wired like stock and had my low and high at the same time, bet the vinyl wouldn't stand a chance! Amazingly they sell the vinyl specifically for headlights... :rofl:

Back