Headlight issue - HID

Blkoutbusa

Registered
Save me the HID in a halogen housing talk, i know.

I have a HID plugged into factory harness. It was fine until last season when I would notice at higher RPM or after a decent rip, the headlight was off. I also just tested something in the garage. On the battery tender, HID fully warm, when i flip the high beam, low beam HID shuts off.

How can I tell if it's a battery issue or HID (Ballast assuming) issue?

The HID is probably drawing too much current and when something else in the system requires more power, it pulls from other sources. In turn, the circuitry in the HID brain box has a protective fail safe to prevent damage to the HID system from too little or too much current.

Also, pull the battery out and have it tested to see it it's still strong enough after 6 years. The battery could be a weak point as well.

The HID is probably drawing too much current and when something else in the system requires more power, it pulls from other sources. In turn, the circuitry in the HID brain box has a protective fail safe to prevent damage to the HID system from too little or too much current.

Also, pull the battery out and have it tested to see it it's still strong enough after 6 years. The battery could be a weak point as well.

My thought too, but an HID should draw LESS than a stock halogen bulb once fully warmed up. It doesn't make sense. Only thing I can think of is the battery. Guess I need to have it load tested locally and go from there.

My thought too, but an HID should draw LESS than a stock halogen bulb once fully warmed up. It doesn't make sense. Only thing I can think of is the battery. Guess I need to have it load tested locally and go from there.
Huh? You don’t a load tester at home??
What the heck is this world coming to?
How’s about hooking up a jump battery and jumper leads to eliminate whether the bikes battery is sick or not.

Huh? You don’t a load tester at home??
What the heck is this world coming to?
How’s about hooking up a jump battery and jumper leads to eliminate whether the bikes battery is sick or not.
Actually was my first idea. I can hook a second battery to mine, like from my truck, as long as the truck is off / not running. Correct?

Actually was my first idea. I can hook a second battery to mine, like from my truck, as long as the truck is off / not running. Correct?
doesn't matter whether the truck is running or not . . . provided the truck's charging system is NOT overcharging and the voltage is around 13 to 14 volts.

dears
i´m really tired of the following question,

so what the heck are we talking about? gen1 or 2?
when asking tech questions this is absolutly necessary to know and if it was a gen 1 the year of producing is necessary too!

now my question @all

does the low beam stay on when switching high beam on?
at this moment, i personally think so.

so the question what voltage you have is the only question.
because if there is not enough voltage in the system the HID stops working.

so i recommend to check the performance of the alternator also.

i guess, that if the batt is a bit low and the generator doesn´t work 100% you will not have the needed voltage (13.4-13.9 V) in the system, messured at the batt poles.

dears
i´m really tired of the following question,

so what the heck are we talking about? gen1 or 2?
when asking tech questions this is absolutly necessary to know and if it was a gen 1 the year of producing is necessary too!

now my question @all

does the low beam stay on when switching high beam on?
at this moment, i personally think so.

so the question what voltage you have is the only question.
because if there is not enough voltage in the system the HID stops working.

so i recommend to check the performance of the alternator also.

i guess, that if the batt is a bit low and the generator doesn´t work 100% you will not have the needed voltage (13.4-13.9 V) in the system, messured at the batt poles.

Gen 2. 2012 model.

Low beam does indeed stay on when high beam is triggered. Or at least it is suppose to. Hence why I am concerned.

Gen 2. 2012 model.

Low beam does indeed stay on when high beam is triggered. Or at least it is suppose to. Hence why I am concerned.

if low, usually, stays "on" when high is switched on too
and yours is making nonsene,
i guess you seemingly have somewhere a "wire" or switch prob.

if low, usually, stays "on" when high is switched on too
and yours is making nonsene,
i guess you seemingly have somewhere a "wire" or switch prob.
Both lights stay lit when high beam is turned on if yours don't then maybe it's something they do in Germany but not over here

Just tried the jumper cables from truck to bike. Low beam stayed on this time
Also noted, battery terminal (positive side) was coroded in bike

doesn't matter whether the truck is running or not . . . provided the truck's charging system is NOT overcharging and the voltage is around 13 to 14 volts.
Kiwi I know your a hell of a wrench but this is incorrect, if you hook up the cables while a vehicle is running or try to start the bike while the truck is running it is possible that it will cause a voltage spike from the vehicle that will short the stator and or regulator. It doesn't always happen but does happen quite frequently especially if the battery is dead or had a bad cell etc. This is very common on the small engine equipment that I work on when a home owner tries to jump start a dead lawn mower. And I have seen it happen multiple times on bikes maybe even once because I didn't know any better at the time:rolleyes:

Kiwi I know your a hell of a wrench but this is incorrect, if you hook up the cables while a vehicle is running or try to start the bike while the truck is running it is possible that it will cause a voltage spike from the vehicle that will short the stator and or regulator. It doesn't always happen but does happen quite frequently especially if the battery is dead or had a bad cell etc. This is very common on the small engine equipment that I work on when a home owner tries to jump start a dead lawn mower. And I have seen it happen multiple times on bikes maybe even once because I didn't know any better at the time:rolleyes:
Ok, I personally have never seen nor heard of this problem with jump starting bikes.... but that is my experience ......and you have experienced this issue so I have learned something valuable here.
I will educate myself further on this and research the subject.
I guess if you have the jump vehicle NOT running and jump start the bike, there would be no chance of a voltage spike.
Thanks for your input here, if I’m wrong I’m happy to be corrected, the last thing I wanna do is spread misinformation :confused:

Ok, I personally have never seen nor heard of this problem with jump starting bikes.... but that is my experience ......and you have experienced this issue so I have learned something valuable here.
I will educate myself further on this and research the subject.
I guess if you have the jump vehicle NOT running and jump start the bike, there would be no chance of a voltage spike.
Thanks for your input here, if I’m wrong I’m happy to be corrected, the last thing I wanna do is spread misinformation :confused:
I know u pass on plenty of useful knowledge here and I know lots of people haven't experienced what can happen if the vehicle is running. Im always open to learning that's what makes us good at what we do;)

Back