Ok looks like Im in the clear now

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the dismissal of a lawsuit that a Texas girl's family filed against MySpace and its parent company, News Corp. The family said MySpace didn't protect young users from sexual predators.

The appeals court ruled that the Communications Decency Act of 1996 bars such lawsuits against Web-based services like MySpace. Insert Hayabusa.org here A federal judge in Austin, Texas, dismissed the $30 million lawsuit on the same grounds last year.

"Parties complaining that they were harmed by a Web site's publication of user-generated content have recourse; they Person spoken about may sue the third-party Hater that posted the comment user who generated the content, but not the interactive computer service ME! that enabled them to publish the content online," Judge Edith Brown Clement wrote in the ruling

Wow. Maybe people should be a little more proactive in what their kids are doing online. My daughter isnt even allowed to have a myspace. Call us over protective, but we know how naieve she and most 15 year olds are.

It's the parents job to protect their kids NOT the domains. Remember the old commercials late at night that said "parents do you know where your kids are?" Now they need to say "parents do you know who you kids are chating with online?"

beerchug.gif

I'm all for the extra protection. We never know what kind of whacko nut jobs we could have running loose on our forums. It's not Cap's, mine, or any other forum owner's fault if someone uses the site to cause harm. Most of the time if this is done, it was done under the radar. If it wasn't these people would be immediately deleted and / or reported.

Finally, a decent law that helps innocent people.

So, you mean that I'm supposed tl actually WATCH my kids? Someone else isn't going to do it for me?
wowold.gif

This is a great day for proponents of responsible parenting.

That's excellent news, Doug.

Courts and lawmakers need to make people responsible for their own little micro-worlds. That's what our freedoms are all about but more and more, you see congress and government attempting to take over people's responsibilities for them. As a result, we have fewer freedoms every day. Often, those who WANT to be responsible are precluded from doing so.

It would be nice to see a general return to independence at a personal level.

--Wag--

BTW, no hating allowed on here. I like the culture of this board the way it is.

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

100% agree with you 99, my kids aren't allowed myspace either...I can't wait to show my daughter this thread, since she swears that EVERYONE ELSE HAS A MYSPACE ACCOUNT, I can say nope, there's at least one more out there
cool.gif

Well we don't have kids, but I am all for the extra protection too. The case with Megan Meyers is finally getting some results too. The "woman" accused in that case is finally going to court and she can get up to 30 yrs in prison. All though I think it is sad that a teenage girl hung herself because someone was saying bad things about her, I often wondered where her parents were and why was she being allowed to even have a relationship with a boy online!!! Well it wont bring her back, but maybe with this ruling people will be a little more careful what they say and parents will be more watchful of their children in everything they do.

Maybe this ruling will help in "Gun Control". I am a firm believer in Gun control (people who obey the law should be allowed to bare whatever arms they want. Criminals should have NO RIGHTS, except to be treated humaninly.). Guns don't kill or injure anyone, its the people using them. Like the people using the websites to do harm.

Well sorry for the long rant and vearing off the subject a little.
winkold.gif

This is a great place even for us non riding spouses!! I wouldn't change a thing!!
thumb_up.gif

this is at least one step in the right direction
beerchug.gif

as far as the Megan Meyers case, i believe i read that her mother was happy that she had found a "friend"...let me see if i can find the article, it was sort of disturbing if you read between the lines and imagined what was going on in that poor kids life...here it is linky

this is at least one step in the right direction
beerchug.gif

as far as the Megan Meyers case, i believe i read that her mother was happy that she had found a "friend"...let me see if i can find the article, it was sort of disturbing if you read between the lines and imagined what was going on in that poor kids life...here it is linky
Thanks for the linky. Probably would have helped if I had spelled her name right.

100% agree with you 99, my kids aren't allowed myspace either...I can't wait to show my daughter this thread, since she swears that EVERYONE ELSE HAS A MYSPACE ACCOUNT, I can say nope, there's at least one more out there
cool.gif
Tell her that my son doesnt have one either and myspace is blocked on the firewall on his computer.. So when the mspace world takes everyone else those two can be friends.

cap

beerchug.gif
So uh Yeah Lemme post up my Lawyers contact info and save you Beetches a lot of time...
thumb_up.gif

Back