Oil change....

Mikey1977

Registered
how many miles did you guy's put in before you changed your oil for the first time? My frist busa i did it at 800 miles, hell I haven't been riding mine for a month and a half and I looked down and just broke 1000 miles. What is the best oil and filter to use?

Some will recommend 25 miles, but should have been changed at the end of the 600 miles break-in period at least.

I would use factory filters and oil till out of warranty. Then use what you want. I personally thing the OEM filters are the best but they are pricey. I myself use Hi-Flo filters and castrol tection extra 15w-40 diesel oil. Let me know if you need help.

I would use factory filters and oil till out of warranty.  Then use what you want.  I personally thing the OEM filters are the best but they are pricey.  I myself use Hi-Flo filters and castrol tection extra 15w-40 diesel oil.  Let me know if you need help.
thanks, where can i get factory filters? when i had my last busa the dealership told me all they had was K&N...

I went to my dealer and bought oil and a bunch of filters for my bike (06LE) and my son's SV650S. Told him I was going to change my oil (before the 600 mile service). He said don't do it. Let the dealer do the "first service". He said that they use a special break-in oil. They want to look at the oil for any unusual residue. He also mentioned that it is good to get the first service "blessed" by a dealer so that if there are any issues in the future, Suzuki would see that the first service was performed and is more likely to work with you.

So, I am bringing in my bike on Friday for it's first service. I'll be changing the oil/filter every 500 miles or more/less depending upon how the oil looks.

I'm using Suzuki filters.

Suzuki recommends first oil change at 600 miles. Some however, feel it necessary to change the oil early like 50 - 75 miles. This is the first time I've heard 25 miles but I'm sure that would work as well. The thought behind the early oil change is to get rid of all the metal shavings created by the metal to metal moving parts, mostly from the gear box.

I am on my fifth new busa and I give them the hard break in, then change the oil between 75 and 100 miles, then again around 1000 miles. I have had good luck with the hard break in and it seems to generate an additional 2 or 3 hp over the factory recommended method. Also seats the oil rings really well.

I use the oil Suzuki recommends. It's 1/3 the cost of synthetic and it works.

Back