Changing oil intervals?

I was wondering how many mile intervals people change their oil?
I buy the expensive stuff, Royal Purple about $14.00 per quart..
Can you get more miles on the expensive stuff before its a good idea to change it?

I was thinking of changing oil soon....

I change around 3 thousand miles - about one season of riding for me. My oil looks very good at that mileage although I know you can't tell it's condition by looking at it. Oil is much better quality today than in past years. I don't worry about the frequency for myself - just do it in the fall when I put it to bed.

Depending on your riding style, 5k or so should be good. I would get an oil anaylis before I would try 7.5k. Clutch feel normally degrades before the oil reaches it limits.

I use Amsoil Full Synthetic with a Amsoil Oil Filter, it is changed each fall and again in the spring since completing my 200 mile, 600 mile and 1000 mile break in oil changes. Currently have 13k miles on the motor.

Glad to hear people are actually changing their oil at reasonable intervals. If you are running dino, 3k is about right and if you are running synth 5k is reasonable. There are far too many people out there that think changing their oil at 1500 miles is a great thing and in reality they are just wasting oil. Read an article about a year ago on how much oil is wasted by short cycling oil change intervals and the amount is huge.

I probably go longer than anybody on here mainly cause I'm lazy! :laugh: Since it's synth (Mobile 1) I go about 8K with a filter change at 4k. I'm approching 70K miles with no problems so must be working. :thumbsup:

i have never used synthetic so price isnt a problem for me. i change oil and filter every 3000. hlaf way between oil changes i change just the fluid. i know its kinda crazy but its quick and easy insurance. i just use Valvoline motorcycle oil from the auto parts store.

Glad to come across this thread. Been thinking about this as I have about 2k miles on her so far this year. Would like to just change in the fall when I prepare her for Winter so if I put another 2k on her I will feel comfortable waiting for 4k total.

I dont have the owners manual with me at the moment but it says every 3 oil changes then change the oil filter something like that I think every 3 thousand kilometers for the oil ? :thumbsup:

GEN I manual states

oil change at 600, 4000, 7500, 11000, 15000 Miles.
filter change 600, 11000

Even though I normally change the filter with oil changes I think the next one (maybe next week) will be an oil only change this time around. :thumbsup:

Suzuki 10W-40 Dino every 4K miles with filter. 52K miles, ride pretty hard. It gets kinda hot around here in the summer

Switched to synthetic (Mobil 1) at the 6,000 km service. I stick with standard drain intervals of 6,000 km and change filter as well. Have done this for several of my bikes, works well for me.

In the old days I used to short change the oil when using mineral, but hey I'd say, go synthetic and stick with the original change interval.

Back