Full synthetic  oil !

dentonbusa

Registered
Been using conventional oil. I have been changing oil and filter every 1,200 or 1,500 miles at the most. I changed to repsol full synthetic racing oil 4t. I was wondering if changing oil and filter between 4,000 and 5,000 miles was to many miles for motorcycle oil. I use suzuki oil filters.

syn does last alot longer , but i still change at 2-3000 miles. Im sure im weasting $$$ but when i hit the rev limiter or miss a shift , i like to think having fresh oil helped prevent damage.

(gsteve @ May 23 2007,08:18) syn does last alot longer , but i still change at 2-3000 miles. Im sure im weasting $$$ but when i hit the rev limiter or miss a shift , i like to think having fresh oil helped prevent damage.
+1

(00Negative @ May 23 2007,23:16) Slight thread-jack!

At what mileage can I switch to full synthetic?  I'm currently at 1100.

TIA.
I'll see your "threadjack", and raise you a "threadjack"........uhhhh...NOW.

THREADJACK-THREADJACK-THREADJACK...OH MY GAWD IT'S A THREADJACK........WHERE'S THE DOOR
rock.gif
...CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT.....THREADJACK...CALL THE KREMLIN..........THREADJACK...CALL THE POPE........

"We now return you to your regularly scheduled post, already in session.....
tounge.gif

same here 3-4k, definitely no more. its not the oil you need to worry about at that mileage but whats in the filter
crazy.gif

(00Negative @ May 24 2007,02:16) Slight thread-jack!

At what mileage can I switch to full synthetic?  I'm currently at 1100.

TIA.
Get it to 1500 miles then you should be fine
wink.gif

(ambulldog @ May 24 2007,03:37) same here 3-4k, definitely no more.  its not the oil you need to worry about at that mileage but whats in the filter
crazy.gif
Have any of you actually cut a filter open and see whats in there? (I haven't) But if in 4K you worry about whats in the filter, your engine has serious issues.

Anyway, I just did the 600 mile service and went to full synth. There was very little crap on the magnet and it was very very fine. I had bikes with a lot more crap on the magnet and never had issues.

As for the change intervals, I have too many toys to rack up enough miles in one year for more than one oil change. Maybe that will change this year..... I would say 3-4K is good.

Ok Guys, basic Oil fact !! Oil is not going to break down in 2 to 3,000 miles (unless your really stressing it, as in RACING and then you need another type of oil). Your not changing the oil because it is breaking down (which it doesn't during normal use), your changing the oil because of the dirt and contaminates it gets in it from the outside air ! THAT'S why you have a filter and you need to change it more often in dirty or dusty areas. Which inturn makes NO sense to NOT change a filter everytime you change your oil. By not changing the filter your just mixing dirty oil with fresh new oil. The real advantages of syn oil over conventional oil is their seperate flow patterns. And yeah, Synthetic does perform much better in the full spectrum of the heat changes.  And it's also safe to change to synthetic oil AFTER the breakin period . And I would feel OK changing after 1,500 miles
beerchug.gif

I change mine (Mobil1 15-50) at 3k, then reuse it in my old S10 for another 4-5 K. Doesn't seem like such a waste that way.

You could probably safely go twice your normal mileage between changes if you use full synthetic. Use ester based if you can get it. It is ionically charged and adheres to the metal very well. It doesn't run off as easily after shutdown. I go around 6000 between changes and the oil still looks good after draining. Where I work we have Cat 3516's powering our emergency generators and we go 350 hours on one oil change(110 gallons in each engine) and we have 10 engines or we go three years before changing. We actually have to send out oil samples every 6 months and found you can go quite a long time between changes. It's really up to you but I would at least change filters and top off every 3000 miles with a full change at 6000 at a minimum. Later.

After 4k, I start finding that my bike begins to shift rougher, so I change at 4k. Mother Honda in her infinite (lack of) wisdom, recommends 8k!
SHOCKED.gif

Good to know!

So... where's can I order the proper service manual from?

A quality manual... nothing like a Haynes mind you. TIA

Back