No Need of the Busa For a Fresh Kill!

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
OK So I drove a drunk buddy home and I am now on my way back into Tampa.  This Acura had been following me for a few miles and we lined up at the light.  Now I wasn't sure what would happen when the light turned green but I suspected.  

Sure enough, light turns green and we are off to the races.  It's a 1AM so the roads were pretty empty, anyway, I got about a half a car length lunge on them and I here his V-TEC screaming away...as I steadily pull out about 3 then four car lengths on the poor guy up to about 85 when I shut it off.  I slow to the posted limit and he goes on by only to get caught at the next light, so yeah I line up again, roll down the window and look over.  They were laughing cause they just got smoked by an Infiniti I30 with an automatic.  So I say to them "OK this time you have to try."  The light changes and it's the same result accept I get a better jump and although his RSX is making a lot of noise and revs, he steadily falls back.  Now I am laughing... We get to the next light and now they are curious.  Whats under the hood???

I could tell the owner was a little disappointed when I explain that it's a stock 3 litre V-6.  But I take pity on him and explain that it is the same engine they used to put in the 300Z, the Nissan VQ.  That seemed to make him feel a little better...Until the light changed and again I just walk away despite his best efforts.    

It made me feel pretty good about the old family truckster.  Didn't have the heart to explain to him that I got a Busa at home in the Garage and I could go get that and we can try again.

So:
Infiniti I30, 3
Acura RSX Type-S, 0

I figure it all came down to reaction time and torque.  Horsepower for the two is pretty close but the Infiniti makes about 50 more ftlbs of torque across the board and it peaks a whole lot earlier.  Funny, here I am with the worlds fastest bike in the Garage, and I am out picking fights (and WINNING) in the four door sedan... Go figure.  I'll bet money though that the Acura driver has a K&N, a chip, and a Cat Back exhaust before he tangles with another Infiniti though...  
laugh.gif

I'm just glad they got the lesson they needed. Way to educate the "fast and furious" bro.
beerchug.gif

He he he...Yeah I spose, but a brand new RSX "TYPE-S"..Being whooped by a 4 year old Infiniti 4 door...thats just funny...

A few months ago I surprised a guy in his Mustang GT, pulled him off the line and owned him until about 60...

Revlis, were you 'shifting' your automatic or full auto? I found automatics can be fun to shift too, and much more powerful. Curious if you ever do that.

Racing, it kind of gets in your blood doesn't it? Which explains our interest in the Busa.....

Uh Raider... I am willing to bet you are right, let's just call it a hunch.
laugh.gif

Revlis, were you 'shifting' your automatic or full auto?  I found automatics can be fun to shift too, and much more powerful.  Curious if you ever do that.
I manually shift it quite a bit actually, but I have found that as smart as cars are getting it is becoming increasingly unneccessary. So last night it was in drive, and I let the car's brain take care of the shift points. If you ease away from an intersection in the I30 it will pull away in secod gear allready, but, if you mash it to the floor it will hold itself in 1st all the way to the redline at 7500 rpm, the shifts are fast and hard enough to give a little chirp as well.

I am actually fairly pleased with the performance of this engine, enough so that I am fairly sure Infiniti has purposely underated the output. It reminds me alot of the Buick Skylarks from the late 80's they had a 3.8 liter V6 (I think) but those damn things would really surprise you.

The best thing about the VQ motor is it's willingness to rev, it's a fast revving motor with few flatspots.

Now my Thunderbird I used to manually shift all the time because it would shift long before the engine would quit pulling.

haha, funny story man.. I'm almost ashamed to admit but I got in a little drag race in the family mini-van.. the family wasn't in it, but still.. haha..

We've got an 03 chevy venture and I got stopped at the light beside a little pontiac grand am.. haha.. we ended up runnin pretty close till about 65-70 then my van lost it's ump..

I was pretty happy with that though!
haha!

haha, funny story man..  I'm almost ashamed to admit but I got in a little drag race in the family mini-van.. the family wasn't in it, but still.. haha..

We've got an 03 chevy venture and I got stopped at the light beside a little pontiac grand am.. haha..  we ended up runnin pretty close till about 65-70 then my van lost it's ump..

I was pretty happy with that though!
haha!
Alright, ego takes the cake. The family van, bro?
rock.gif
Dayuum!
laugh.gif

Hey, Once it's in your blood there is no helping it... Started for me back about 1976 racing BMX bikes against buddies... I haven't been able to get past it yet!

Back